Types of drysuit pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the Cadillac of dry suit pockets are the ones sold by Deep Sea Supply, with the wide neoprene backing for mounting, but they are unfortunately also quite expensive (three times what the 5thD pockets cost, or at least used to cost).

Why neoprene backing is better than Ballistic Nylon one?

I think adhesives get a better grip on the neoprene, but that's not why I like Tobin's pockets. I like them because the neoprene backing is quite a bit bigger than the pocket, so when you glue it on, the shear stress from opening and closing the pocket, and from flexing the leg, isn't transmitted to the corner of the pocket. The corner of the backing gets little or no stress. Although I haven't tried those pockets, I suspect they would stick on far better than the ones where you are gluing right along the perimeter of the pocket itself.

And, as I think about it, it probably cost me as much to have my pockets sewn on and sealed as it would have to have bought Tobin's pockets and glued them on myself :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom