Types of Bungee/Shock Chords?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm curious about where to get my bungee/shock chords. From what I can tell, they're all the same, save for the thickness. I was going to stop an outdoor supply store to pick up some 3/16 off a spool, but thought I'd see if there is any difference between what they would have and what we should be using underwater.

Depending on the facts, I may get to go home and setup my dss mount and my necklace for this weekend!

Nope all the same, nylon sheath on a rubber core. Personally I prefer a white or colored necklace of 3/16" cord since if its all goofy my buddy can see+fix it against my black drysuit/hood better. Only had that happen once or twice though. 1/4" is too thick IMO.

sweet, now just have to wait to get off work to go home and play with my toys!

Keep in mind that much bungee is foreign made and tends to run on even mm sizing, 3mm, 4mm, etc.

Some 3mm is sold as "1/8" 3mm = .118" vs .125"

Some 4mm is sold as "1/8" or 5/32" 4mm = .157"

Some 5mm is sold as 3/16" but is larger, 5mm is .197" vs .188"

Some 6mm is sold as 1/4. 6mm = .236" vs .250"

I prefer 4mm or 5mm for necklaces. I agree that 1/4 is way to stiff.

Tobin

I'd also like to dispel the idea that they're "all the same save thickness." I've seen cotton-sheath over the core, and some with a "fuzzy" nylon too. McMasterCarr carries bungee with 3-4 different sheath compositions, nylon, polyurethane, and some others.

Wow, that's some great information guys!

I'm assuming that I want non-fuzzy nylon sheaths? Hm, I'll have to watch out for metric bungees.

Why do people think they have to do the "thank you " thing to every post that follows their question? Please people, just stop it.

Back to the original question-
In this case it is really the size that matters. After that it's all just bungee.

I'd also like to dispel the idea that they're "all the same save thickness." I've seen cotton-sheath over the core, and some with a "fuzzy" nylon too. McMasterCarr carries bungee with 3-4 different sheath compositions, nylon, polyurethane, and some others.

A non-concern. So some are made with a different sheath. Big deal. They all work the same in the water and they all have to eventually be replaced. Once again, it's size that matters.

Why is it that some people feel they have to criticize posters that actually have the common decency to thank people that give them good information ?

I think someone got up on the wrong side of the bed the last couple of weeks ...

Maybe winter in Canada is taking its toll ??

Why is it that some people feel they have to criticize posters that actually have the common decency to thank people that give them good information ?

I think someone got up on the wrong side of the bed the last couple of weeks ...

Maybe winter in Canada is taking its toll ??

And your advice to the original question is...????

You want thanks? Thanks for adding nothing to the discussion.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom