Type I diabetic in trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDuane

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've been certified for just under 2 years and have 34 dives with out incident. I'm a type I diabetic and have been for 28 years, and have not had over 7 on my HBa1C for over 15 years, I'm usually < 6.5. Anyway, I'm taking PADI Rescue diver classes and PADI is requiring another medical sign off. This time my Dr. "read it more completely" and because of the statement:
"The potentially rapid change in level of consciousness associated with hypoglycemia in diabetics on Insulin therapy or certain hypoglycemic medications can result in drowning. Diving is therefore generally contraindicated, unless associated with a specialized program that addresses these issues".

I've never been unconscious due to insulin reaction in my life. The last time she signed it no problem. There goes my favorite past time. What would you do? Are there any Dr.'s out there that could send my Dr. some compelling info to find in my favor?

Thanks,

DiverDuane

Talk to a dive doc. They should sign you off.

Where can I find a Dive Doctor?

I can't just go to another dive agency, I have a wife and family and will nullify my Life insurance without a DR.'s sign off.

Thanks,

DiverDuane

DiverDuane,

DAN will be able to hlpe you find a Physician trained in dive medicine. DAN has a physician referral program: https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/physicians.asp
With all the new advancements in diabets medications diabetics like yourself are in better control and more active than in previous years. Better get a physican familiar with your diving needs.

I agree with Bison. Have your doctor contact DAN for clarification. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and my endocrinologist did talk to DAN and signs my medical every year (even if I don't need it) now that he knows what impacts my condition has with diving.

Good luck.

Duane

Hi DiverDuane,

I recently attended a lecture during which they discussed the recommendations that were generated for diabetic divers as a result of the DAN study. They included:

1. Significant end-organ damage was a contra-indication to diving
2. Beware dehydration - important for all divers but especially in diabetics
3. Beware hypoglycemia - BS must be on the plateau or rising just prior to dive
4. Take oral glucose paste with you on dive
5. Always dive with a non-diabetic buddy who is knowledgeable about your condition
6. Limit dive planning to : 2 dives/ day; < 30 min duration; < 60 ft depth

I agree with asking your doctor to contact DAN. There are certainly advantages to advocating a system whereby the physician informs the diver of the potential risks of their medical condition and the diver makes the final decision whether he/she accepts those risks. The diver chooses to dive or not to dive rather than the physician being the gatekeeper. Of course, the diver should fully disclose their condition to their dive buddies to be aware of any additional risks and responsibilities.

Hey All,

I did contact DAN and sow a dive doctor. My doctor at Kaiser ended up working with me so I could work with the dive doc. I got everything done and had the release signed at 3:30 Friday for my Rescue Diver Cert dives on Saturday. Boy, talk about last minute eh?

Thanks for your input, it was very helpful.

DiverDuane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom