Tyler State Park Trash Fest May 14, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Scuba Steve's Aquatic Adventure's is putting together Trash Fest 2005 at Tyler State Park May 14, 2005. The On-Site registration begins at 8AM and the trash clean-up begins at 10AM. The Treasure Hunt starts at 1PM. There will be food, prizes and stuff to do for the kids including their own land treasure hunt. You can call Steve at 1-903-593-7033, or me, Debra at 817-652-3483 for the registration form. It is $15 to pre- register before April 30 and you get a free T-shirt! If you wait then you can sign up at the park but no free t-shirt. It would be nice if you did pre-register so they know how many people are coming. Surface Interval Scuba will do their Diver's Day Out at the Trash Fest and we plan on meeting at the shop at 6:30AM for the convoy. We will be riding the motorcycles so clean up the bike for a nice ride. Bring your equipment by on Friday so we can load it into the trucks early Saturday morning if you are riding. We will have coffee and muffins and then stop for breakfast around 8 or 8:30AM before we get there.

Is there any diving there or is this just a land based cleanup? I live about 4 hours away and I was wondering if it will be worth the trip.

Yes, it is an Underwater Trash fest and then the Underwater treasure Hunt. We hope to see you there!

Sweet, Debra!! I'm so glad that you and SIS are getting involved in the trashfest, this will be twice the fun! Tyler State Park is our local watering hole, I've been going out there since I was a girl to swim and hang out. It's a beautiful place to camp out, also, if anyone wants to come in early or camp overnight on Sat. They have screened shelters too, but I figure they are already reserved.

As far as the diving... it will definately be fun, and you will be wet, but don't count on outstanding vis- the best I've seen was probably 5-8'. I've heard rumors of 15', would like to see that. My daughter did her AOW dives there. Shore entry, so far there are no docks to stride off. ScubaSteve is negotiating with the park for new & improved amenities for divers, however. He said they were listening to him, and were surprised at how many divers are interested in a nice place to go. There are platforms and a navigation course (set by ScubaSteve's), a brushpile with some big fish, and a swimming area. The water isn't as cold as Clear Springs, but I would definately wear at least a 3mm in May.

One of the nice things is that it is very safe & peaceful, due to no motorized boats being on the lake. The only boats you'll see will be the occasional paddleboat or canoe, which might be a fun thing for some of your non-diving family & friends to do, if they make the trip.

BTW, no air fills are available out there, so be sure and bring all the tanks you need. Also, last summer when I was out there, the nearest bathhouse was being remodeled. I would think they would have it done by now, though. Or you could always drive to one near the campgrounds for a shower.

Foo, the Eternal Optimist

Well, I knew we might have a Foo spotting and it's nice to head your way instead of you always coming this way. I am sure we will gather up 10 or 15 people to make the trip. Thanks for the heads up about the air situtaion, we will bring our own shelter/chairs, etc. I may have to spring for a trailer before then to haul all this gear. Our Scuba MC will definitely be making an appearance. We can't wait! :dazzler1:

Donald has a karate tourn that day, but I will be going to the cleanup.

Aren't you proud of me? It's not exactly the FG, but I'm taking a giant step, gf.
weeeeeenk.

Foo

WELL it looks like this someone will be working to help keep the lights on in the ol scuba hut---lol

I may try to go, even if the diving conditions suck the ride should be fun. I can keep it in 3rd for all the harleys. :wink:

We now have about 7 motorcyclists ( Hondas, Harleys, even a guy with sidecar) and scuba divers. I signed up a registrant for the event today at the shop. Let's hope for good weather. :dazzler1:

Is anyone camping Friday or Saturday night? Is the $15 fee for everyone or just the divers? What time will everyone be meeting at Tyler to register?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom