two young men killed in o2 explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So yes, oxygen is not flammable but semantics don't matter when the air around you starts to burn.

Since we are on the Internet, reading to improve our knowledge on accidents and their causes, the accuracy of the information given is important. Now if one is writing just to inflame emotion, it makes no difference if the facts are ignored.

I believe this article is referring to this accident that occurred in India.

Two killed in cylinder blast

I’m sorry but to me this is nothing more than fear mongering on the part of the author it try to convince people to take training. So two people were killed in a industrial accident, in a arguably third world country, with no regulations for safety or training. I would think The author should be peddling his training in India for maximum impact.

I guess you could call it fear mongering. It was meant to remind people of dangers involving cylinders. Whether its an industrial accident or not, anywhere in this world, any life lost is a tragedy. There are numerous examples of injuries and fatalities involving cylinders. I purposely try not to mention the location so people don't blame a culture, they blame the lack of procedures. Any trainer should understand that awareness promotes safe practices. So the fact that this post is opening a discussion, and comments are being made, the word is spreading. It might save someone or get them to take training seriously. (BTW - this article has been read numerous times in India, just a few less times than the U.S. So I agree, maybe they will begin to improve their training and I will get maximum impact to save others).

Since we are on the Internet, reading to improve our knowledge on accidents and their causes, the accuracy of the information given is important. Now if one is writing just to inflame emotion, it makes no difference if the facts are ignored.
Sadly, in these types of incidents, there are not many stated facts. I try to follow through, looking for government reports, inquests or follow up articles. I rarely find anything. That is why I try to keep the message simple.

I saw some old, portable oxygen tanks in a nearby thrift store once and was thinking about trying to convert them into pony bottles. Then I saw a video here about a guy who tried to remove a stuck valve on one with my favorite Get a bigger hammer approach including where his various body parts landed in the room. I went back and warned the store manager that she needed to call the fire department to dispose of those.

913F167B-C960-4E81-BD9D-7BB2A35F5E98.jpeg

remember this Luxfer AL 30 that let loose in North Florida in 2004 killing the fill station employee and injuring 3 more. Yes this was my cylinder. I saw her drop the tank while attaching the fill whip. DOT confiscated the cylinder from the County Sheriff and it went to a warehouse like in Indiana Jones movie. We will never know if it was sustained load fractures or not. Cylinder was made in 1988.

I believe this article is referring to this accident that occurred in India.

Two killed in cylinder blast

I’m sorry but to me this is nothing more than fear mongering on the part of the author it try to convince people to take training. So two people were killed in a industrial accident, in a arguably third world country, with no regulations for safety or training. I would think The author should be peddling his training in India for maximum impact.
As I said in an earlier post, I call BS on the article. The link given corresponds with the original post in terms of ages and month BUT there is no mention of oxygen and, in fact, it calls it "gas". My guess is it was really LPG.

View attachment 627312
remember this Luxfer AL 30 that let loose in North Florida in 2004 killing the fill station employee and injuring 3 more. Yes this was my cylinder. I saw her drop the tank while attaching the fill whip. DOT confiscated the cylinder from the County Sheriff and it went to a warehouse like in Indiana Jones movie. We will never know if it was sustained load fractures or not. Cylinder was made in 1988.

Was that from the accident at Bill Renniger's?

As I said in an earlier post, I call BS on the article. The link given corresponds with the original post in terms of ages and month BUT there is no mention of oxygen and, in fact, it calls it "gas". My guess is it was really LPG.
Here is the article where I learned of the rupture. Hoping this calms some of your doubts. As I mentioned earlier, I dont go into specifics as there is no need to mention the victims, country or regulations. The purpose of the article was simply to remind people that cylinders can be dangerous. Dont ignore them, treat them with respect, and they should perform as designed.

हादसा: ऑक्सीजन गैस सिलेंडर फटने से दो सगे भाइयों की मौत, दो घायलों की हालत गंभीर, मैनेजर पर केस

I call BS on this one. Google search "oxygen explosion July 2020" shows that the only oxygen related explosion in July 2020 happened in Iran in an oxygen factory. Searching using the words "sons" as well as above returns no related results. Note that the original document does not state where this happened or the names of the dead.

Oxygen cannot explode as such, although the cylinder could rupture if something catastrophic happened to the cylinder.

CFS,

I have the minimalist report on this, Faridabad India, no time frame, five paragraphs, lots of gore, no details whatsoever.

Not surprising, where carelessness/total dis-regard/negligence/and absolutely nothing resembling instruction and or training reign supreme. not to mention human life having less value than a tank of oxygen.

I firmly believe that western world companies, would be far better off advertising their products/services on their own merits, as opposed to using these types of third world articles, where nothing relating to who/what/where/when/how/or why are published, where only gore and and questionable filler are identified.

Articles like this only create speculation, and do nothing to raise the level of awareness, especially when no facts/root causes have been identified and reported.

Sorry Folks, just me.

Rose.

Back
Top Bottom