Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great!
3 days in Orlando is enough, I hate big attractions, and I've never been a fan of Disney, so two days in parks will already be too much! Especially on the middle of the summer!

Thanks for all the tips, I'm really looking forward to see big animals that doesn't live here ( so everything except cows ) and dive in Key Largo.

Nobody told me if Devil den is worth the trip though. Tourist stuff?

Devil's Den is an easy dive..... is it worth it? Hard to say. If you like fresh water diving it's kind of fun and its a
safe cavern dive. But if I were traveling to Florida from somewhere else, I'd focus on the salt water diving

I've never done a fresh water cavern !
We want to see the most of it with short time, without only being underwater in the sea.
Parks and wildlife is also important.

Are the wrecks from Tampa interesting?

Welcome to Florida! I currently live in (and dive from) Orlando; I have also lived in the Tampa Bay and Jacksonville areas. You've gotten lots of good advice here; the post immediately above asks about 'wrecks from Tampa'. You may get several inputs, but in my opinion, given a limited itinerary, focus your salt-water diving on the east coast and the Keys.

Are the wrecks from Tampa interesting?
Not to me. Mostly barges sunk to attract fish for spear fishing.

Hi Nianne

I spend 3 weeks in Orlando every August, and as others have said whilst it is hot, you will be comfortable enough. It probably gets hotter in Switzerland, just not as humid

Can I ask why the 3 days in Crystal Springs? I think you'll be bored after a day. I did a day trip from Orlando a couple of years ago where we went on a boat trip on the river then swam with the manateees in the morning and dived Rainbow River in the afternoon. It was a nice enough day but the water was so murky you could hardly see the manatees we did find ( and I'm talking close enough to stroke) and the dive was a bucket list tick even though the water was crystal clear. I wouldn't bother doing it again when you have West Palm Beach so close

I always do a trip down south for a few nights every year and, if it's diving you're after, I would shelve the springs and spend my 3 nights down there

As others have mentioned, Blue Heron Bridge is a must and you have other areas so close it's a no contest vs the springs. You could base yourself in WPB/Singer Island and do the bridge as well as a boat dive out of there. I would also recommend Jupiter (20 mins north) and Boynton Beach (25 mins south, Kevin at Underwater Explorers is great) and do the Castor out of Boynton and MG 111 out of Jupiter for an incredible experience diving with Goliath Groupers. I will say again, it's a no contest vs the springs

I have done the Keys a few times but not for a few years now as I'm totally sold on the Jupiter/WPB/Boynton strip but until I found WPB I loved the Keys and dived out of both Key Largo and Islamorada

I wouldn't bother, as others have said, with the Gulf side. It is great as it's only 90 mins from Orlando to Clearwater if you're going to do a day trip but it is another no contest in what you will see vs Atlantic side

I have also done the Disney Dive at Epcot a couple of times, and once again whilst it's enjoyable, it's quite expensive. Having said that, you do get to stay in the park after your dive for nothing

If your boyfriend is a park thrill seeker I would just do Universal as that is where all the BIG rides are. I'm not a fan of hopping as I think you waste so much time going from one park to the next and out of choice, Islands of Adventure is the park with most rides. You could do a day there and go to Epcot to dive and spend an evening afterwards. From memory the dives are scheduled for 4;30 and 5;30 pm so you'll be out and about in the park for 6;30ish if you get on the early one

Epcot dive is absotuly not on my bucket list. The day I'll dive in an aquarium, it will be in Dubai !

We're going to Crystal River because it seems pretty quiet with a lot of walks around the springs.
We'll spend a week diving in the Keys and we still want to see what's inland too.
And apparently, my partner want to try golf :rofl3: !

You may not realise, because for US citizen, almost all the states are places to potentially go on holidays, for us, it's still 15 hours of flight away !

Imagine, you go to Paris, you wanna see the museums, but you won't be doing only that (not that it doesn't take you already a week) ! :wink:

Sorry Nianne, my misunderstanding. I assumed it was mainly a diving trip

One thing I should point out is that I am British and live in the UK so I know about the flights and wanting to see other things, but walking at that time of year will be hot work not to mention alligators which the locals are far more knowledgeable than me to advise on. Visiting the State Parks is a good idea and very cheap,and even if you don't walk, you can canoe

Have a great time

Here is my suggestion, based on two weeks with 2 days in Orlando for theme parks.

First, see if you can fly into Miami and depart from Orlando. This sometimes is just as cheap or not much more expensive than going in and out of the same city and will be much better for the itinerary below. This is just a suggested itinerary, I am not recommending particular operators or guides. If you want suggestions for any of these, please say so or pm me. For the Keys, look to Netdoc, as that is his home.

This itinerary will echo some things you have already heard—mainly, best to concentrate your trip in South Florida. Ditch Naples altogether. Less time in the springs/Crystal River in favor of the reefs and wrecks in the Keys and Southeast coast.

Arrive in Miami and if possible get down to a hotel in Key Largo that same day.

Full days 1-2

Key Largo dives: various reefs, wrecks of the Spiegel Grove and Duane. The wrecks are deep (nitrox is essential) so do those in the morning and shallow reefs afternoon. Get in a night dive if you can on the reefs. These are fantastic shallow colorful reefs with lots of tropical reef fish, huge schools of fish, and a multitude of hard corals. Lots of animal life, but the “big animals” and macro stuff will be more in West Palm (below). The wrecks, though, are spectacular, far larger than any of the wrecks farther north.

Day 3: Morning, drive to Key West and get an afternoon trip to the Vandenberg. Alternative would be to drive to Key West after your afternoon dive in Key Largo, but it is a beautiful drive best done in the daylight. Overnight Key West.

Day 4: Get a morning dive to Looe Key on the way back from KW to Miami—probably the best shallow reef in the Keys and a great dive after the Vandenberg. Overnight in Miami, or, if you can do it, get up to West Palm Beach.

Day 5-7 (or 8)

Three days of diving in West Palm/Jupiter. THIS will be your “big animal” AND your “nudibranch” diving. Dive the wreck of the Castor, MG-111, Zion wreck trek, or other local wrecks for Goliath grouper where you can see dozens of 300-600 pound fish congregated on the wrecks in August. Again, these are deeper reefs and wrecks and Nitrox is essential. The reefs will have lots of turtles as well. Also pretty common to see some reef sharks. One essential dive is Blue Heron Bridge. This is a, seriously, world class macro dive where you might see things that people go to Indonesia to see. It is shallow (8 to 15 feet) and a steel 100, available at the local shops, can get you almost three hours of bottom time. This is an easy do it yourself beach dive, but I highly recommend you hire a local guide who dives there several times a week and knows where the best critters are at any given time—well worth the modest cost.

Day 8 Drive to Crystal River and use that as base for the springs/caverns. August is the absolute worst time to see manatees. Call Birds Underwater and they will be very honest as to whether a trip is worth it. If not, you can use High Springs or Gainesville as a base as they are closer to most of the springs. You could also stay in Orlando and do long day drives to the springs.

Day 9-10 Various springs/caverns. Blue Grotto, Ginnie, Devil’s Den. Alexander is also fun, as Netdoc suggested. Honestly, these springs and caverns are nice but two or three will be more than enough as they tend to be pretty similar. This is not the spectacular formations of the caves, mainly just caverns with unremarkable limestone rock walls, very little life, but super clear water. Might be fun snorkeling the Ginnie springs run. You could do a cavern course, if you don’t have that specialty already.

Day 11 Go to Orlando, only an hour and a half from Crystal River, two hours from Gainesville.

Day 12-13: Disney World (yuck)

Day 14: Drive to Miami for your flight. This is why it would be much better to leave from Orlando, you save 4-5 hours of driving to the Miami airport.

You can see that this takes up 14 of your 16 days, giving you some flexibility for more Theme Park/tourist time, more Keys time, or more West Palm time. Panhandle is not on here as it is too far away. There is an oddball dive in Venice, Florida for fossil shark teeth, but it is zero vis muck diving, not my cup of tea.

This is really the best of the best if you haven’t been to Florida before. The three wrecks in the Keys are spectacular. The Castor is great, as are some of the other West Palm wrecks, with the bonus of the multitude of big fish (which the Keys wrecks will not have).

The best ocean diving in Florida is from Jupiter to Ft Lauderdale. Skip Naples. Spend a day or two looking for smalls at the Blue Heron Bridge and spend a few days drifting on the reefs off West Palm and Boynton Beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom