Two small steel tanks from 1970. Baby dubs, need help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Voit that may be what you are looking for. It was part of a set of doubles--the other tank failed hydro in 2017. Since then I've learned about the need to "pre-test" galvanized steel tanks so it's possible that the hydro test was not accurate.

This one was born in February, 1967. The most recent hydro stamp is 10--2017. The last time I looked (about a year ago) it was clean and shiny inside. Naturally, if you are interested, I will look inside again. There are no pits, dings, dents, etc. They were painted yellow when I got them so there are some traces of yellow paint. With just a rough eyeball measurement it looks like it's about 18 3/8" which is 1/16 more than what you said yours is. I could easily be off by that much, however the neck length of my two tanks was different by about 3/8". I made up the the difference by putting something in the boot so they would stand up. It currently has air in it and a valve attached to it so I can't get an accurate weight measurement. When I calculated the capacity I came up with 47.2 cu/ft at 2475 psi. It's been a while but I think I filled it with water and weighed the water and calculated from there. I also have the single, stainless steel bands and, of course, the double-tank manifold with J-valve (US Divers).

If you are interested, got something to trade? Things I might want and don't need might be along the lines of:

Double-hose reg that doesn't need hoses and a mouthpiece to work (no, I'm not expecting a Royal Aquamaster :wink: )
Small (30 lb or less), Single-tank backwing that is usable with a bladder in good condition. I have plenty of hoses and dump valves if needed.
Single-hose reg, maybe a Sherwood Magnum type or a popular ScubaPro with adjustable second stage.
Old Aladin Pro dive computer, non-Nitrox. OK if it comes in a console with SPG etc
Size Large ScubaPro JetFins with the lightning bolt through the insignia

I'll consider just about any dive gear except I already have a surplus of SPGs, depth gauges, compasses... Judging from what you've written I suspect your gear is in good condition :)

I was thinking of keeping the tank for one of my grandkids but I suppose by the time they are big enough to dive they will be big enough for a steel 72.

WP_20190901_004.jpg WP_20190901_006.jpg WP_20190901_007.jpg

If you are interested, got something to trade?
Hell yeah! We could talk.
:)

Very interested in your tank.

How about a 32# OMS wing (no valve) in pristine condition (that doesn't fit my Freedom Plate), a pair of large Dive Rite fins, a pair of lightning bolt SP XXL's that work for sneakers, and an old Manta search reel?

The wing doesn't have an inflator and the SP fins don't have the straps. I was converting the straps to springs when I settled on a newer Dive Rite fin that I like. The straps disappeared as someone else's backups.

Dive Rite fins: Note the shallow bend in the fin. That config didn't last long, the DIR types didn't like it for frog kicking but they work really well for flutter and modified flutter. You can do a frog kick with them, but you could also find better...

See pic:

Dive Stuff.jpg

I'm probably too old to kick the XXL JetFins but I'm always finding new people interested in diving. Bungee cords make good JetFin straps :) Aside from the fact that I LOVE my size L Lightning JetFins, they fit in my carry-on :wink: I'm not familiar with the Dive Rite fins but they only seem to sell the stuff that actually works well. As for the backwing, that's just the size I had in mind and I have a couple of inflators that should work with it. Is the dump valve still installed?

Here's the problem: I have three birthday parties and a Labor Day Luau that I'm doing between now and tomorrow evening so I won't be able to do anything until Tuesday in the A.M.

My tanks also may not have been sold originally as doubles, considering that the neck on one was longer than the other and the manifold is US Divers. In my case the only issue was that one tank was shorter when attached to the manifold. The difference in weight was probably negligible. If you paint them white and get some reproduction Voit stickers from VDH you'll look like one of the good guys in Thunderball :D Are you going to be needing the SS bands? I'm thinking of keeping the manifold in case I want to make double 72s (I have two matching tanks for that purpose). The single tank bands are only good for short tanks, such as what you are doing.

Sweet! That lot has been set aside for you. No rush. If you think that you are serious, PM me with a shipping address. Look it all over, let me know.

I'm probably too old to kick the XXL JetFins
I'm pretty sure that it is just the fin pocket that changes with size.
not familiar with the Dive Rite fins but they only seem to sell the stuff that actually works well.
Yeah, the cave community keeps them producing frog-kick stuff...
Is the dump valve still installed?
Yes, and working.
Are you going to be needing the SS bands? I'm thinking of keeping the manifold in case I want to make double 72s (I have two matching tanks for that purpose).
No interest, have all that. Just the tank.
The single tank bands are only good for short tanks, such as what you are doing.
Yes, I gave up looking long ago and now make my own 'Highland' quality bands. Way too much work to make selling them the least bit profitable.

I have the rollers for making a slip roll, just need to have that project bubble to the top of the 'need it now' list.

So anyway, we talking a deal?

Ha! That lil' gem goes right onto my Freedom Plate.

Had too many statistics courses. It is all about perceived worth. I'll be happy with the tank as a single, someone else can buy lottery tickets if it floats their boat...

:)

I gave up on the dream of a matched pair of old steels. Good luck with yours.

the water capacity puts them to be lp53s, but usually those are 1980 psi
I forget ,,,,,,, didnt they mark tanks differently in the long past? instead of saying 1980 wth a pluss they just marked the WP with the pluss included making it 2250 +/-? Im thinking about ww2 and post era.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom