Two questions? What are considered "Old Steelies" and LP45's instead of AL40's for deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Pretty much what the title says... I recently saw a poor listing that simply said, "Old Steelie tanks" for sale with a picture of a couple small steel tanks that I couldn't identify based on the pics.

Any why not LP45's instead of AL40's for deco? Seems they would be a better option for O2 fills and have close to the same specs, except the 45's hold more gas.

Perhaps a pic would help. The seller stated the service pressure is 2000 psi and he thinks the capacity is 70 cuft.???? They look smaller than 72's to me.

00p0p_7lXBuKthKvg_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
argument against 45's or any steel tanks are the buoyancy characteristics. the steels, all of them, have less than ideal buoyancy characteristics that cause you to list

Buoyancy indeed, I can easily sling a single 40 cf bottle on my left side and never notice it. Aside from the buoyancy characteristics, cost may be another factor. At least when buying new, AL tanks can be purchased for about $100 cheaper than a 50 cf steel.

Argument for steel.. It is harder to burn / melt..
Ask me how I know...

They are a little heavier but if you are only hauling it a short way into the cave before dropping it, it's no big deal.. If you are wreck diving and are carrying your deco gas with you, I could see how it would become less than ideal..

Attachments

• 24421373-E956-40B4-81EC-EDC3E88A2DC9.JPG
    24421373-E956-40B4-81EC-EDC3E88A2DC9.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 115
  • tank valve 013.JPG
    tank valve 013.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 103
Damn. I was hoping to hear that was some experiment. Was this some sort of failure? O2 related?
Yeah, I wish it had been a controlled experiment.. That might have been cool to watch from afar, rather than standing next to a bomb.
I'm working on a detailed article covering what took place that I'll be posting here soon. Yes, very much 02 related..
Bottom line is this.. 02 clean your tanks & valves on a regular basis, depending on how often you dive...
And never 'trust' anyone else to do the job for you unless you are certain they know what they are doing..

Attachments

• 12033 032.jpg
    12033 032.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 96
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom