Two Japanese divers found alive off Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis

Contributor
Reaction score
First off it's a relief given the conditions that they survived and were found. That is the happy news. The sad news is why we are once again not surprised divers with no signaling devices of any kind are lost. Please everyone go down to your dive shop today and get what you need to increase the likelyhood first that you are never left behind and second that as search and rescue is looking for you, you have maximum capability to draw attention to yourself. DO NOT let this happen to you.

Edit: The divemaster btw, he has NO excuse!

the DM didn't carry any emergency SMB or signalling device? :shocked: I thought fish n fins/ ocean hunter had a good reputation and I would expect something like that in Palau would be mandatory!:06:

Well the article did say they had a floatation device, whatever that means. This is not the first time this has happened off Peleliu. In another incident 5 divers died in the same type of situation. In December we all had SMBs.

Glad to hear of another successful rescue. 5.30pm the second day - boy, I bet they were dreading another night. I'm still amazed at the one they found alive after 3 days this week.

I still have the Safety Sausage I wore on my first ocean dive and everyone since. It amazes me that anyone would dive the ocean without at least this much, but I have seen a lot of DMs without them.

I will say diver must have a floatation device for any condition.....

Lucky they survived and were found....

DandyDon:
Glad to hear of another successful rescue. 5.30pm the second day - boy, I bet they were dreading another night. I'm still amazed at the one they found alive after 3 days this week.

I still have the Safety Sausage I wore on my first ocean dive and everyone since. It amazes me that anyone would dive the ocean without at least this much, but I have seen a lot of DMs without them.

I'm not implying anything DandyDon with your personal gear, I'm glad you've taken steps to ensure you have a signaling device for just such an emergency. But just to piggyback on that thought. Another important oversight suffered by many divers .. if your safety equipment has never been pulled out and "excercised" remember it needs maintenance too. Like that little gadget one thought would always be there for them in an emergency ...the backup dive light one hasn't fired up since it was first pulled out of the packaging and stuffed into the BCD pocket. Or that rolled up signal weenie with hairline cracks in it that can no longer hold any air. To anyone thinking ... oh yah I didn't think about that ... now is the time to go check ... not adrift at sea.

DiverBuoy:
I'm not implying anything DandyDon with your personal gear, I'm glad you've taken steps to ensure you have a signaling device for just such an emergency. But just to piggyback on that thought. Another important oversight suffered by many divers .. if your safety equipment has never been pulled out and "excercised" remember it needs maintenance too. Like that little gadget one thought would always be there for them in an emergency ...the backup dive light one hasn't fired up since it was first pulled out of the packaging and stuffed into the BCD pocket. Or that rolled up signal weenie with hairline cracks in it that can no longer hold any air. To anyone thinking ... oh yah I didn't think about that ... now is the time to go check ... not adrift at sea.
Yep, good reminders. I do unroll & reroll the sausage after ever trip, inspecting it - testing it would be good. I do test my storm whistle & dive alert every trip and my dive light every day.

The first step is obtaining and carrying them, tho, so many don't.

The point about checking your SMB is a good one. I was in Micronesia for December last year and only dove in a group situation twice, some of the ones I saw looked old and as if they have never been deployed. I saw one that was a disposable plastic tube that you had to tie a knot in the bottom. Most divers need to practice shooting bags and as you say Diver Buoy check their equipment.

Back
Top Bottom