Two German divers drown at Gran Cenote Kalimba at Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, it can be one of the best courses you ever take, depending on the instructor and format.
And Ken is one of the best of the best. I highly recommend him even after the "Cow Incident". :D :D :D
First time in Cow and with Ken. He's incredibly patient as I have flexibility issues after 30 years in Automotive. Once in the water he takes off like a shot. He sees me behind to he waits, then he's off, but not as fast. Now, this a high flow cave and he doesn't have a scooter. How the hell is he moving so fast? Then, on a corner, I see him pulling on the line. As I ponder this a bit, I realize that the "line" is more of a rope, rather than the traditional gold line. Ah crap! He's been pulling on the rope the whole time, so I join in and easily keep up. It was a "doh" moment, and we both had a good chuckle at that.

...IMHO, it can be one of the best courses you ever take, depending on the instructor and format.

I agree!!,,,,,,Just my 2 cents but Rescue diver course is more how to save your buddy. Cavern is more how to save YOURSELF.

Cavern is more how to save YOURSELF.
More like learning your limits and not putting yourself in danger inadvertently.

I agree that cavern class was great education. I took it for a few reasons. One of the main reasons was to be able to safely dive guided cenote tours without relying on the guide for my safety. The other was to improve my overall diving skills. As an open water diver I have never been truly task loaded, its mainly relax and look at the pretty fishes. We did sessions in pool to introduce reel running and touch contact drills. The first dive at Ginnie had me running a reel, diving steel tanks in an unfamiliar gear configuration, and tracking my buddy and instructor. This culminated at the grate in pretty heavy flow, with me double jamming my reel, trying to count the squares on the grate. I struggled to unjam the reel without moving out of flow. My instructor let me suffer for a minute or 2 then tucked me out of the flow and things got easier. I wasnt sure if I was ready to continue with the class after that dive. We did the ear the next dive and it was night and day difference. I was more prepared to keep focus and handle task loading. My comfort increased even more after completing black out drills in real life scenarios. Completing the cavern course definitely made me a better open water diver, and I feel it made it possible to safely do cenote dives when I head to Mexico in June

We have everything we need now from the technical examination. I'll sit down in a few days and finish the report and then Kim will revise it. Should be done sometime in march pending other engagements that need to take precedence.
@Izze
Was this finished and posted someplace?

More like learning your limits and not putting yourself in danger inadvertently.

That's the scary part of cave diving. AFAIK, most accidents happened to experienced divers. They did not realize they were in danger until they were close to death.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom