Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff H: are you like losing sleep over this?
I’m getting worried about you dude.
[

Yep, clearly not posting for nine days means I'm losing sleep and worrying about this.

My disagreements concern the points ScubaJennifer tried to make - if she wants to argue them she is more than welcome. The fact she didn't even try to defend her viewpoint speaks volumes to me, instead she chooses to go on personal attacks and deflect the discussion away from the incident at hand.

Same strategy as you, I notice.

DandyDon thanks for letting letting me know the links I posted were old ones. I stand corrected! I will be more careful in the future.

My statement remains I am not surprised they didn't invite boat crew but there were divers on the boat who did everything they could to help. Yes there were some who spoke out against them but there were also some who defended them.

I think the money would have been better spend on donations to the rescue services. People who donate their time or focus their careers on the emergency services seldom get well deserved pats on the back. That can be done by newspaper notices or thank you notes which are very much appreciated believe me I know from working in the field as well as volunteering my time. A major donation to the organizations that allow them to do their jobs is much more practicle than a party.

My opinion of this couple will improve when or if they actually make the donations they have hinted they will give to the rescue services. Most of these organizations in Australia rely heavily on donations to keep running. We personally donate to them on a regular basis even though we have never had to use their resources.

Apparently there is going to be another "Exclusive" interview of these two on Dateline this Friday night...

Cha-Ching!!

Apparently there is going to be another "Exclusive" interview of these two on Dateline this Friday night...

Cha-Ching!!
I'm jealous too. No one wants to interview me for anything.
pie.gif

Not at all shocked by either point...
:lol:​

Hey, better Avi! :thumb:

Nah, I'd love to see them play themselves in the movie. They're both photogenic and personable. Wish them all the luck...!

Surely they can each afford Dive Alert whistles now...?

Last edited:
Surely they can each afford Dive Alert whistles now...?

and ruin the sequel they have planned????? No chance. :coffee:

*** UPDATE from todays news wire ***

Dive couple Richard Neely and Allyson Dalton told truth | NEWS.com.au

Dive couple Richard Neely and Allyson Dalton told truthBy Peter Michael

Dive couple's story of how they went missing disputed
Investigators now find they were telling the truth
They find the mishap was due to 'operator error'

MIRACLE dive couple Richard Neely and Allyson Dalton told the truth about their 19-hour ordeal at sea, a top-level investigation has found.

Investigators, in a soon-to-be-released report, have backed the version of events by the British scuba instructor, 38, and his American girlfriend, 40.

The experienced divers - with 2000-plus underwater dives each - survived being lost at sea during a dive expedition on the Great Barrier Reef, off Airlie Beach, two months ago.

They sold their story in a media bidding war rumoured to be worth up to $250,000 - but faced scathing criticism as doubts surfaced amid claims they staged their disappearance.

In a ringing endorsement for the couple, the Queensland Workplace Health and Safety report, near completion, is set to find the mishap was due to "operator error", sources have confirmed.

In turn, senior WHS investigators are expected to recommend charges against both dive company OzSail, which operated the dive boat, and former dive trip director Kylie Irwin, 31.

Rescuers found Mr Neely and Ms Dalton clinging together for warmth after spending the night in the shark-infested waters on May 26.

The couple survived being swept 15km out to sea as a strong current dragged them away from their dive boat, the Pacific Star. They said they were unable to attract the attention of crew and other passengers.

But OzSail issued a stinging rebuke in the days after the rescue, accusing the couple of leaving the agreed dive area and not following safety instructions.

Both Mr Neely and Ms Dalton were unable to be contacted for comment overseas.

OzSail operations manager Ross Peters said his company had not yet seen a final copy of the report. He declined to comment on the likelihood of them facing charges.

Mr Irwin, who did not return calls yesterday, was sacked by OzSail and is understood to have left Airlie Beach to find work in Perth.

eter Michael

Dive couple's story of how they went missing disputed
Investigators now find they were telling the truth
They find the mishap was due to 'operator error'

MIRACLE dive couple Richard Neely and Allyson Dalton told the truth about their 19-hour ordeal at sea, a top-level investigation has found.

Investigators, in a soon-to-be-released report, have backed the version of events by the British scuba instructor, 38, and his American girlfriend, 40.

Brilliant news, confirming what most of us suspected from a rational analysis of the events posted here. I hope the Scubaboardians casting aspersions on Richard and Allysons characters will have the moral fibre to apologise now?

moral fibre to apolgise... :rofl3:

at the end of the day i think QLD workcover is acting as expected - they going to dump the dive op into it (ie fine them) and the dive op is hanging out the dm

anyways - i hope not to test out the Richard/Allyson/Qld diving smb/whistle/find me if you can theory next week while im diving off sunny queensland lady elliot island

but if they dont bring me back as planned - i hope you guys will post away on all my diving sins... including that i dive with a snorkel :D

Back
Top Bottom