Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If people are seriously worried about getting lost, the personal beacon devices are the best way to go and relatively inexpensive compared to an Aussie live aboard trip when coming from North America. There are fins that are a lot more expensive than an EPIRB!

Tough to use a signal mirror, SMB, strobe or any other signal device that depends on being seen with the naked eye if they are not searching the area you're drifting in.

Here is an oil filled beacon, rated to 100m for only $325. This only one of many out there and even at $500 it's a bargain if you really want piece of mind. Half the cost of one of my camera strobes so I'm looking at ordering one.

Sea Marshall Personal Location Beacon (epirb)-Divers

So I guess these other devices won't hurt to have with you but this has been beaten to death here so many times, why not just get the one device that will give you the best chance of a fast rescue?

oil filled... great then i will have the EPA after me :D

i am planning on adding a small mirror to my smb & reel as i have a pouched attached to my bpw so it wont be anything extra dangly

maybe i will add some die marker for our GBR birthday trip :wink:

Here is an oil filled beacon, rated to 100m for only $325. This only one of many out there and even at $500 it's a bargain if you really want piece of mind. Half the cost of one of my camera strobes so I'm looking at ordering one.

Sea Marshall Personal Location Beacon (epirb)-Divers

The EPIRB that operate on 121.5 MHz are outdated:

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/786/139352

You want something that is operating on 406 Mhz.

BTW rescue mirrors work - I used one once to signal a bird for a pick up :D

If my wife caught me signaling someone in a bar besides her I would need more than a rescue.

The EPIRB that operate on 121.5 MHz are outdated:

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/786/139352

You want something that is operating on 406 Mhz.

BTW rescue mirrors work - I used one once to signal a bird for a pick up :D

You mean like these?

McMurdo PLB's

The 121.5 MHz will be outdated for direct SAR contact by early 2009 but they can still be used by the boat captain to try to locate you and if they can't find you the SAR people can track you once alerted by the captain.

Back
Top Bottom