Two Divers Die in Mexican Cenote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crosing

Contributor
Reaction score
http://lancasteronline.com/pages/news/local/4/10318

Dentist, lawyer killed in Cancun diving accident
Lancaster Catholic men were friends on vacation together in Mexico. Family and friends remember them as caring and adventurous.

By Cindy Stauffer
Lancaster New Era
Published: Dec 11, 2004 12:08 PM EST
LANCASTER COUNTY, PA - Kent Hirsch and Michael Nast were cast from the same mold.

Passionate, athletic men, they cut a colorful, vibrant path through life.
Hirsch, 53, a dentist with a practice in Centerville, was a bicyclist and skier, who recently took up skydiving.

Nast, 36, an antitrust lawyer with his family’s Lancaster-based firm, was a bicyclist and marathon runner, who gardened, and loved wine and animals.

What brought the two men together was their shared love: scuba diving. They dove together off the coasts of Florida and New Jersey, exploring shipwrecks and underwater caves.

They even each had diving nicknames. Hirsch’s was “Dr. Deco,” short for decompression. Nast’s was “Caveman.”

The two friends died together Thursday morning while diving in an underwater cave in Mexico.

“As a professional, he was extremely competent and as a person, just like the rest of his family, he was a class act. It’s just a total loss for the bar,” said Christopher Lyden, a local defense attorney who was a friend of Nast’s.

Said Dr. Aggie Varaday, a fellow diver and orthodontist who sometimes filled in at Hirsch’s practice, “Kent was very passionate about life. He just had this boundless energy. ... Everyone who knew him just loved him. His enthusiasm just bubbled over.”

The two men, both experienced cave divers, died while exploring an underwater cavern just west of the Mayan ruins at Tulum, about 80 miles south of Cancun. They were diving in deep wells, called cenotes, that lead to water-filled caves.

A Mexican newspaper, Por Esto!, reported that the two men apparently somehow got lost in the tunnels of the cave. The two men were with two other divers, William and Jane Downey, also from Pennsylvania, who managed to get back to the surface.

Hirsch was a meticulous diver who carefully planned his excursions and took no chances, Varaday said. She cannot imagine how he and Nast got into trouble.

“Mediocrity was never an option with Kent,” she said.

Family and friends of the divers today said the two men touched many with their enthusiasm, intelligence and caring.

Nast began his legal career here as a clerk for former president Judge D. Richard Eckman. He left that position to work for the district attorney’s office in Luzerne County, then returned to Lancaster to work at the local district attorney’s office. From there, he went to the state attorney general’s office, where he prosecuted Medicare fraud cases, and then returned again to Lancaster to practice with Roda & Nast, the law firm run by his parents, Dianne Nast and Joseph Roda.

Lancaster County Judge Joseph Madenspacher, a former county district attorney, hired Nast for the DA’s office.

“He was just so smart,” Madenspacher said. “Everything just came easily to him. He had what I would call a charming personality, which is absolutely the thing you want if you’re going to be a good attorney in court.”

Local District Justice Bruce Roth, who clerked with Nast and later worked with him at the district attorney’s office, recalled an auto theft case in which Nast was so confident about the evidence that he declined to give a closing statement, an unorthodox move that did not cost him the case.

In Luzerne County, Nast made headlines when he successfully prosecuted a woman who poisoned her husband’s iced tea.

A family member said Nast never overlooked details in the complex civil cases he handled. The day he left for his Mexican vacation with his wife, he sent his office 102 e-mails, so that details of his work were not overlooked.

Nast got married this summer to Dr. Julie Brahmer, a pulmonary oncologist who practiced at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. The two had homes in Baltimore and Lancaster.

Nast had many interests outside of work.

Roth said his friend was a “Renaissance man, a scholar and an athlete” who enjoyed gardening, growing spices and vegetables. He also loved cooking and wines.

Nast cared for his friends, celebrating their accomplishments and offering sage advice, Roth and Lyden said. He was fun to be around.

“He was hilarious,” Roth said. “He had a very enjoyable sense of humor.”

The family member said Nast loved animals, once adopting a frightened cat from the Humane League.

“She stayed under his bed for a month,” the family member said. “He named her Baby. She weighs 20 pounds now. We still have her.”

Hirsch was a graduate of the University of Maryland in College Park and its dental school. He had his local practice for about 15 years.

He and his wife, Wendy, have a 3-year-old daughter, Madison. He also has two grown children, Matthew and Robin, who are both in college.

“He was fun, adventurous and charming,” Mrs. Hirsch said.

She recalled fondly a family trip to Europe two summers ago, when her husband did a charity bicycle ride, raising money for AIDS vaccine research. Mrs. Hirsch and Madison drove the route of the ride and stayed with Hirsch in the towns along the way.

Mrs. Hirsch bought her husband a skydiving jump for his 53rd birthday, and he later took his daughter Robin for a jump. This summer, he and Matthew went skiing together in Chile.

“He just loved to be alive and prove to himself that he was alive,” she said.

Hirsch taught scuba diving courses and was strict about students measuring up to standards, wanting to ensure their safety, she said.

He also was a generous man. This summer, he bought 500 yellow, rubber “livestrong” bracelets, a fund-raiser for cancer survivors, handing them out to patients and friends.

A former president of the board of the Hearing Conservation/Deaf Services, he had a number of deaf patients in his practice.

Dr. Stephen Sudbrink, the president of the Lancaster County Dental Society, said the society is going to try to get volunteers to help run Hirsch’s solo practice until it can be sold.

Varaday said Hirsch’s patients will miss him.

“One of the quirks about Kent was he had this rapid-fire speech,” she said; “he would talk so fast. ... His little motto — and we’d laugh every time he’d say it — when he was signing off or saying goodbye, he’d say, ‘Dive, dive, dive!’

“That’s one of the things I’ll always remember about him.”

So sad, condolences to the families.

Anyone with more details? What cenote?

Sad to hear about this upon my return from Coz. These guys were both local to me, one teaching at a nearby dive shop, though I did not know them. Very sad.

AmyJ:
Anyone with more details? What cenote?

They were certified cave divers doing a traverse from Calimba to Bosh Chen in the Sac Actun system. A poplular entrance/exit point of the system is Grand Cenote, which is also a very beautiful and popular cavern dive.

Dennis

Pez de Diablo:
They were certified cave divers doing a traverse from Calimba to Bosh Chen in the Sac Actun system. A poplular entrance/exit point of the system is Grand Cenote, which is also a very beautiful and popular cavern dive.

Dennis

That cave system is well marked and has many jumps and gaps. Depending on the dive plan (stage or not, deco or not) you could go quite far. I've not done the Calimba traverse, but have gone past Cuzana (bird cage) to "the room" via the main line. I don't recall significant silt on the bottom as I didn't stir any up myself.

The cave system is absolutely stunning. Arguably the most beautifully decorated cave in the area.

I would say that this particular cave does not require a difficult plan and by the sound of previous posts, these 2 divers were experienced and careful in their planning. I wonder if there were "problems" with the dive itself.

Most likely we will never know.

Henry

The world lost two incredible men.
Very sorry for the families' loss.

Henry:
That cave system is well marked and has many jumps and gaps. Depending on the dive plan (stage or not, deco or not) you could go quite far. I've not done the Calimba traverse, but have gone past Cuzana (bird cage) to "the room" via the main line. I don't recall significant silt on the bottom as I didn't stir any up myself.

The cave system is absolutely stunning. Arguably the most beautifully decorated cave in the area.

I would say that this particular cave does not require a difficult plan and by the sound of previous posts, these 2 divers were experienced and careful in their planning. I wonder if there were "problems" with the dive itself.

Most likely we will never know.

Henry

Date: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:23 am
Subject: Cave diving fatality in Mexico

Yesterday was a sad day for cave diving in Mexico !

Two cave divers failed to comeback to exit, It was 9 diver group split
in two groups of 4, one with guide,
te dive plan was a double jump traverse calimba - boschen, in sac
actun cave system,
both teams sharing reels, jumps was 2 minutes form each other
one team turn the wrong way at the jump even they pickup their "team
cookie marker" at jump reel,
4 divers miss it ! as they follow the arrows instead of their exit
direction and travel 1500ft of passage not travel on the way in !
2 divers where taking pictures as they swam the 20-25 minutes to the
end of the line following the arrows until they realize the line is
over and they were lost,
they try to jump again but could not find Gran cenote - Hotul main
line and swam back.........

In the meanwhile the other team pick up the second reel but left the
first one for next day dive,
(actually this is a "snap and gap", but I never use) and head out thru
the boa restrictions,
coming out uneventful however the other team was not out ! So they
decide to drive to Gran Cenote and look for them

Back inside at the "snap gap" the team split in pairs and 1st pair
make it out after sharing gas with less than 500 psi left on the tanks,
prior team re-arrenge gas a went looking for divers left behind,
the other pair did not make it out, running out of gas 200-300 ft from
entrance,
the 1st search team brougth one out, 2nd search brought next one out

Too sad this is the 6th cave diver death in Mexico this year and they
all link to the usual people involved, poor training and logistics wise !

Be smart guys !

This dive plan is actually not all that uncommon, the unfortunate part is that it depends on the plan being executed with proper timing. It is very sad indeed that this happened condolences to the families.

Bobby

Bobby F:
Date: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:23 am
Subject: Cave diving fatality in Mexico

Yesterday was a sad day for cave diving in Mexico !

<snip>

"one team turn the wrong way at the jump even they pickup their "team
cookie marker" at jump reel,
4 divers miss it ! as they follow the arrows instead of their exit
direction and travel 1500ft of passage not travel on the way in !"

<snip>

I just want to clarify, do you mean that the team picked up their cookie and turn the wrong way?

"2 divers where taking pictures as they swam the 20-25 minutes to the
end of the line following the arrows until they realize the line is
over and they were lost,"

<snip>

My cave instructor said that for the most part, cameras equate certain death in a cave. I can definately appreciate that.

<rest of article snipped>

Bobby

Just looking for some clarification.
Thanks
Henry

Back
Top Bottom