Two-day diving trip to NC. How much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemonade

Reaction score
Folks, those of you who go diving to NC,

Could you give me a ballpark estimate how much $$$ should I allocate for two-day diving trip in a middle of summer to NC, particularly for lodging & diving: two nights of lodging in a least expensive motel in reasonable proximity to the dock & boat tickets for two day-trips.

Thanks.

Check out the Olympus Dive Center web page at http://www.olympusdiving.com/.

I think that a two-tank boat trip is $90. I’m not sure what equipment rental chargers are since I take my own, but Nitrox fills (30% HP-120) were $12 each. They list several options for Lodging from economical including their lodge and camping, to local hotels. Last time I went I made reservations at the Best Western Buccaneer through http://hotelmotelnow.com/ for $62 a night on Friday and Saturday.

Hope this helps,
Mike

This helps, thanks.

Basically, if I could not split room cost with someone, I'm looking at roughly $300 + (food & gas) for 4 dives over two days... Ouch, that stings!

Actually, this is the estimate that I expected to hear, but still had hope... :wink:

Lemonade once bubbled...
This helps, thanks.

Basically, if I could not split room cost with someone, I'm looking at roughly $300 + (food & gas) for 4 dives over two days... Ouch, that stings!

Actually, this is the estimate that I expected to hear, but still had hope... :wink:
I have gotten on some trips through a local dive club that were around $250 for 2 days of diving and 2 nights lodging. If you have a group you can leverage that and get better rates. Another option is to stay at the bunkhouse of the shop/boat you are diving with. I haven't done this, but know others who have said the accommodations are fine. I am pretty sure Olympus has a bunkhouse. Other people sleep in their car or camp to cut costs....nitrox is cheaper up here than it is down there, so we usually take gas with us (at least the first day's gas anyway)...we pay about $8 per tank (AL80) up here and, as MikeS pointed out, fills down there are $12.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you choose to dive out of Hatteras you will need o2 clean tanks. They only partial pressure blend down there, so you will be stuck with air unless you have o2 cleaned tanks.

Do you need aow for these dives. 18 dives is all i have logged. Would it be to advanced for a newby

aquasport once bubbled...
Do you need aow for these dives. 18 dives is all i have logged. Would it be to advanced for a newby
You can always talk to the shop and see if you can do some inshore stuff to get experience out there and possibly even do your AOW off the coast of NC. Most of the NC stuff is deep and most of the boats require AOW. NC diving looks deceptively easy because of the relatively warm water and great vis, but the rough conditions, depth, and currents can be extremely hazardous.

You should make the trip though...NC is absolutely amazing.

Last year group trip, which I was signed up for and was really looking forward to, got cancelled due to the boat engine going south… ;-0
This year I’ll make couple attempts, really want to experience that renowned NC diving. I keep on hearing how great it is ever since I got certified.
“Engine broke down? Too bad… I went last month, it was so wonderful, and now in August it would be even better…”
Just like rubbing salt into wounds… :banging:

:) Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom