Suggestion Two additional certification agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
gkndivebum

gkndivebum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Would it be possible to add two more certification agencies to the "dive info" part of the
profile? I'm thinking specifically of DAN (e.g., I have O2 Provider and AED training
from them) and AAUS (American Academy of Underwater Sciences) for those of us
that are (occasional, in my case) research divers.

I've gone ahead and added them both. I imagine some people will select DAN without being trained by them persay, but I suppose that's ok.

gkndivebum:
I'm thinking specifically of... AAUS (American Academy of Underwater Sciences) for those of us
that are (occasional, in my case) research divers.

I'm curious. Do you think the benefits of AAUS membership are worth it? I've given thought to joining myself.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
I'm curious. Do you think the benefits of AAUS membership are worth it? I've given thought to joining myself.

Dr. Bill

That's a Very Good Question, Dr Bill.

The short answer, for me anyway, is yes.

In reality, you have to weigh the benefits of AAUS with the amount of effort necessary to qualify
for Scientific Diver status. In my case, my "certification" comes via an organizational membership
(via Manta Pacific Research Foundation). I'm on the Diving Safety Board for that organization.
Being over 40 meant that I needed a very comprehensive physical examination, which represented
an invesment in both money and time (and not a little bit of arguing with various health care providers
about why I wanted all of these tests).

MPRF's collaberation with a researcher at the University of Hawaii requires AAUS membership in order
to dive on research projects / vessels affiliated with UH. Rather than trying to figure out how to
become a scientific diver under UH's organizational membership (I'm neither student [shudder] nor
faculty there), MPRF set about setting up their own program.

There was a lot of effort that went into that - preparation of a diving safety manual, documenting
procedures, setting up a diving safety board. AAUS provides some templates as well as "signing off"
on the finished products. Once you have an AAUS-accepted program you're exempted from OSHA
commercial diving regulations. This is perhaps the most tangible benefit to AAUS membership. But
equally important is the ability for research divers to gain reciprocity with other research organizations
who meet the same core standards.

Feel free to pm me if you'd like more information -

Tech Admin:
I've gone ahead and added them both. I imagine some people will select DAN without being trained by them persay, but I suppose that's ok.

Many thanks, or as they say in Hawaii - mahalo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom