Two 80s or One 120?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if those older HPs are genesis tanks they may have on odd ball neck size and you may have trouble finding a manifold should youi decide to double them.

cyklon_300:
w/ H-valve is my choice...I have almost the same gas available as double Al80s, fills cost half as much, only one VIP and Hydro fee instead of two and it weighs much less.

The buoyancy characteristics are also much better for diving dry than two Als...

Tried a steel 120 and had issues with how long it was...

Thats all fine and dandy,but I prefer to have more redundancy on Deco dives........................

:10: I use a lp121 my self pumped up 3000psi with my own compresser. Whitch I do all my own fills.
I find that on some dive tripes you have diver that will bring one set of doubles and use them on two dives. I have a lot more gas with two single 3000 psi h-valve tahn they do with there doulbles. I also have a deco bottle with me too.

Scott

ICUROK:
:10: I use a lp121 my self pumped up 3000psi with my own compresser. Whitch I do all my own fills.
I find that on some dive tripes you have diver that will bring one set of doubles and use them on two dives. I have a lot more gas with two single 3000 psi h-valve tahn they do with there doulbles. I also have a deco bottle with me too.

Scott

So, you mix your back gas at your garage? Cool!

I do Countiounos blenning. I think it is the safest and cheapest for me.

Scott

JimLap:
He does not say where he is from. we're all assuming he's U.S. if he's overseas 4500 psi fills are not uncommon. depending on the area they may be the norm. But yes din's will allow higher pressure fills,but I have no problem taking my pst steels to 3800-3900 with yokes. Of course I've got a newer reg that is stamped 3500 psi on the yoke itself so allowing a little extra I'm still cool. BTW most of these ratings on yokes are conservative. figure they usually test em to 10 times that.

We have done testing on NEW yokes at rated pressure of 3442 psi. We have found NEW yokes stretching .005-.007 inch. this stretch is enough in certain cases to allow the o-ring to extrude from the valve. When you exceed 3442 psi or using a heavily used yoke, you can only imagine the total expansion taking place. You can review my posts elsewhere in regard to overfilling.

I am trying to supply facts to an industry that would like to believe rumor and innuendo because it convenient and allows them to believe it's safe. I have spent many hours contacting engineers involved with cylinder and valve manufacturing to get to the real facts. Do want you want, just understand the risks and don't put those risks onto the unsuspecting public.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom