Two 80s or One 120?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VG--I'm a new guy about to pull the trigger on some new tanks and for me it's going to be HP120s.

Of course I'm 6'6", 250lb, diving in cold water with little guys and suck air like a Lear jet.

What's your excuse?

LLKZ16:
:06:

HP-119 = 41 (Lbs.)
HP-130 = 43 (Lbs.)

But, you can feel the weight difference more than 2lb each due to the length on the ground. I am not a big guy, so I prefer 119s set. Is there anyone who wants to get rid of 119s set in a decent price?

w/ H-valve is my choice...I have almost the same gas available as double Al80s, fills cost half as much, only one VIP and Hydro fee instead of two and it weighs much less.

The buoyancy characteristics are also much better for diving dry than two Als...

Tried a steel 120 and had issues with how long it was...

Ok, so I'll weigh in on the issue... seeing as how I have both double-85 LPs and an HP-120. There are times when doubles make since but you have to be careful with regard to LP steel tanks. 1) many times they are rated as 85 cu.ft. only with a (+)... or 2640 psi... so when they are hydro'd and you either don't ask for or don't get a (+)... you're at 2400 psi... which is now ~77.5 cu.ft. 2) many times there are people that overfill the tanks or get them overfilled... so with my current tanks 2800~3000 psi isn't unusual... make sure you double up your burst discs though so a weak disc doesn't cause problems...

That all said, I like my doubles for their redundancy and all... but like the HP-120 for other reasons, especially diving wet rather than dry or if space on the boat is an issue... some places don't accomodate doubles very well... so the HP-120 works better in those situations...

Heck, even if you don't double the steel 80's up... they make super little singles... I'd rather have then sometimes than my AL-80's... :)

lamont:
Spend 10 mins sharing air with your buddy on dives to extend them.

Pretty soon all your Al80 buddies will be buying HP120/HP130 steels...

I've been known to do that with my 80s.

I use an HP-130 and dive with friends that use Al80's.

When they are ready to go with 400psi left, I usually have 1200psi with about 40-50 min left on my computer.

I got to get my friends to change!

LLKZ16:
I use an HP-130 and dive with friends that use Al80's.

When they are ready to go with 400psi left, I usually have 1200psi with about 40-50 min left on my computer.

I got to get my friends to change!

Wait a min.... AL80s is more gas than one HP-130? If then, that isn't matter of tank size, but SAC rate of your friends.

hoosier:
Wait a min.... AL80s is more gas than one HP-130? If then, that isn't matter of tank size, but SAC rate of your friends.

They have singles...Sorry to leave that important fact out...:05:

I was just comparing the situation that spectrum was talking about.

Hi Again,
I thought I made a post at about 4:20 (CST) but now I can't see it. Must have been lost in the ether-net.
Anyway, thanks all for the input! After reading all your opinions, I think I'll go for the two 80s if I can get them. I don't plan on doubling up, and I'm sorry that my original post was interpreted that way by some. What I meant was, is it better to have two smaller tanks, and have to switch them more often, or to have one big tank (at a greater cost)?
I talked to one of my LDS owners (there are two dive shops in the area, this is not the one with the tanks) and he said that a DIN adapter, if it was available, would run about $70 for the Conshelf SE2 that I'll be getting.
The other LDS owner (the one who may have the tanks available) said that he thinks the hydro dates are fairly recent, but he's not sure.
About myself: I live in Wisconsin, and will be diving in the local lakes and quarries. Sometimes I will dive from shore, and sometimes from a small (14') boat. Naturally, there is no surf to worry about.
I have recently been OW certified, and I have no regular dive buddies yet.

Thanks Again,

V. G. McG.

Back
Top Bottom