Two 80s or One 120?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

V. G. McGillicuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi There,
The LDS owner says he may have some used tanks available in about a week. He said that they are older steel 80s, with a DIN valve. He also said that they would probably go for around $100 each. I was considering buying two of them.
Is this a good price, or should I pool the money and buy a single 100 or 120 CF steel?
Also, the DIN valve will allow me to get 4500 PSI fills, right?
Are there any other advantages or disadvantages to the DIN valve?

Thanks,
V. G. McG.

V. G. McGillicuddy:
Hi There,
The LDS owner says he may have some used tanks available in about a week. He said that they are older steel 80s, with a DIN valve. He also said that they would probably go for around $100 each. I was considering buying two of them.
Is this a good price, or should I pool the money and buy a single 100 or 120 CF steel?

Thanks,
V. G. McG.

Personally I like the doubles mainly for the balance on my back. A 120 is quite large and I feel a bit rollie if you know what I mean.

I'd take the doubles any day. A lot more flexible configuration, you can use them seperately if you like, and you'll get a lot more mileage out of them if they are in good shape.

V.G. those 80's you mentioned they aren't doubled up are they? Either way you will have to look at what type of diving you will be doing, experience level as well as your air consumption. Another good thing to look as is will the 80's need service (hydro viz etc..).

Also it is not that valve that gets you a higher pressure fill it is the tank itself and the HP tanks today only can be filled to 3442 PSI not 4500 unless you know the tank monkey :wink: As for pros cons to the DIN valves IMO DIN valves are better because they have a better way of capturing the O-ring and I find them a more secure connection over yoke. Also you'll have to make sure your own regs are DIN. note- Most all rental regs out there are also yoke.

Hope this Helped
Alex

No time like the present to switch to DIN, I say buy the 80's and force the issue to change if you arent already equipped reg wise. I assume the Hydro is done already? Visual is cheap.

There is no easy answer. You know the life isn’t simple. 

There many factors you have to consider

type of diving:
If you plan to be in the rec. area, one tank is much better to handle than the double. Don’t get me wrong, all diver isn’t tech favorite divers. And most your buddy might be one tank diver. 120CF is still a lot of back gas.

HP air fill availability:
There is no guarantee that you can get the exact 3442 psi from your LDS, so make sure you can get the right fill. But AL80 is much easier to get the right psi.

Cost:
One tank is much cheaper in the long run. Think about VIP, Hydro, Manifold maintenance.

V. G. McGillicuddy:
Hi There,

Thanks,
V. G. McG.

What sort of crowd do you dive with? If you're match with 80CF then there's no need to lug 50% extra gas.

With an 05 or even 04 hydro date $100 is decent.

Older steel could mean 3500 (PST Pre E-series) or a low pressure cylinder. The valve rating is not the determinng factor. The low pressure varriety will be a bit bulkier.

DIN is better but you need a compatible regulator connection and probably an adapter for rental (yoke) situations.

HP on the spot fills can be hit or miss but I've seen plenty of AL-80 cool to 2700 as well. The better dynamics can make up for some of the potential short fils.

Pete

He does not say where he is from. we're all assuming he's U.S. if he's overseas 4500 psi fills are not uncommon. depending on the area they may be the norm. But yes din's will allow higher pressure fills,but I have no problem taking my pst steels to 3800-3900 with yokes. Of course I've got a newer reg that is stamped 3500 psi on the yoke itself so allowing a little extra I'm still cool. BTW most of these ratings on yokes are conservative. figure they usually test em to 10 times that.

spectrum:
What sort of crowd do you dive with? If you're match with 80CF then there's no need to lug 50% extra gas.

Spend 10 mins sharing air with your buddy on dives to extend them.

Pretty soon all your Al80 buddies will be buying HP120/HP130 steels...

V. G. McGillicuddy:
Hi There,

Thanks,
V. G. McG.

If you are looking to buy tanks I will assume you are just starting out in this great sport. I have used steel 120's (HP and LP) and they are mother f'ers to lug around as far as single tanks go. A high pressure steel 120 weighs 60lbs. If you have a difficult entry (slippery rocks, surf, etc.) it will be a pain. For boat dives it's great to have the extra air though.

I would suggest you start out with two 80's. You never mentioned an intention to use the 80's as a doubles rig. For shore dives a single 80 will me much more convenient. If you ever decide or need to dive doubles you will have two tanks perfect for a doubles rig.

My double alum 80's with manifold and bands weigh 96 lbs full. For winter shore dives I use a single alum 80. We have difficult shore entries in Mass.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom