Twinset inflator sides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smache

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The standard twinset hose routing (wing inflator on right post, drysuit on left post, kidney dump on left) is a carefully designed and time-tested system. However, it seems like there are benefits to swapping which post the wing and drysuit inflators are on, without any drawbacks. Are there any reasons to stick with the standard configuration that I'm missing?

Changes I'm considering:
  • Move the wing inflator to the left post.
  • Move the drysuit inflator to the right post.
  • Move the kidney dump to the right side of the wing.
Pros:
  • Dump gas without moving the light to your right hand first (so you don't blind your buddy).
  • Early warning for left post roll-off: If the left post gets rolled off, the wing inflator will stop working (although the left post should be checked any time you come in contact with the ceiling anyway).
Neutral differences:
  • To dump gas while scootering, switch the scooter to your left hand and dump gas with your right (instead of moving the light to your right hand and dumping gas with your left).
  • In case of a runaway wing inflator, dump gas with the right hand while closing the left post. (Actually, this seems better than the standard configuration because it doesn't shut off the long hose primary in the process.)
Cons:
  • Standardization. There's value in having team members use the same configuration, and this breaks that.

Right side dump does not work when you’re scootering. Scoot is in right hand. Switching hands when scootering almost always means coming off the trigger. Most scoots are not designed for left handed use, as well.

Unconscious diver. Left hand controls inflator and the kidney dump on your victim.

This standard became the standard because it works.

Why change something that works? Seems you’re looking at doing it for the sake of change, not improvements.

Wing inflate might be the only source of buoyancy if diving with a wetsuit.

Some wings have dumps on both sides

Right side dump does not work when you’re scootering. Scoot is in right hand. Switching hands when scootering almost always means coming off the trigger. Most scoots are not designed for left handed use, as well.
Really? I've only used a DPV a few times, but I had no problem switching hands while staying on the trigger.

Why change something that works? Seems you’re looking at doing it for the sake of change, not improvements.
True. I guess I'm also trying to understand why the standard configuration is the way it is. It seems like the version described above should work just as well, but there are probably factors I'm not considering.

Really? I've only used a DPV a few times, but I had no problem switching hands while staying on the trigger.

True. I guess I'm also trying to understand why the standard configuration is the way it is. It seems like the version described above should work just as well, but there are probably factors I'm not considering.

It will depend on the design. Suex, Gavin, SS, and I’m sure others are not lefty friendly.

I'm not a cave/penetration diver (just fundamentals level) but one advantage of having the wing on the right post is that if going through a restriction whilst sharing gas, a left post roll off would still allow the donor to breathe from the inflator hose until the restriction is passed and the left post can be re-opened.

).
[*]In case of a runaway wing inflator, dump gas with the right hand while closing the left post. (Actually, this seems better than the standard configuration because it doesn't shut off the long hose primary in the process.)]
Go vertical, hold inflator in left hand pressing deflator button while disconnecting LP inflator hose with right hand is much faster and does not affect any other part of the system.

It mostly evolved from the DIR culture. Whilst DIR is taken to cult status by some, most consider DIR to have some useful guidelines.

The basic DIR twinset configuration is generally considered as sound and a very good starting point.

Once you start extending your diving to multiple stage cylinders it is very frequently modified from DIR dogma: different D-rings, mounting stages on the right hand side, more D-rings (two D-rings per side for stage clipping), harness breaks, sidemount bungees, etc. However, the core hose routing and dump placements would normally remain the same.

Bottom line: stick with the basic DIR config until you’ve more experience and then add tweaks.

Not really connected but I really, really wish I could find a decent wing with a top right shoulder dump. I hate fighting through stages and going ass up to dump... air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom