Twinkies No More!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostess had bad management, an out of touch product and a union that cut off its nose to spite it's face. The company had over two billion in sales so clearly the idiot executives wages, as bad as they were, only show their poor judgment and management. Instead of a wage cut in a recession, one union (but not the Teamsters) voted against the bankruptcy judge's terms and now 18,900 have lost their jobs.The Teamsters contract stipulates that Wonderbread and Twinkies going to the SAME STORE must be delivered in DIFFERENT trucks driven by DIFFERENT drivers and unloaded by the APPROPRIATE driver.The Baker’s union contract required that the bread products and the cake products be loaded by separate designated loaders and unloaded at warehouses by different designated un-loaders. It sounds like leaders of management and the unions are to blame for the loss of employment for so many workers. My hopes that the workers will quickly find jobs at a better run company.

Hostess had bad management, an out of touch product and a union that cut off its nose to spite it's face. The company had over two billion in sales so clearly the idiot executives wages, as bad as they were, only show their poor judgment and management. Instead of a wage cut in a recession, one union (but not the Teamsters) voted against the bankruptcy judge's terms and now 18,900 have lost their jobs.The Teamsters contract stipulates that Wonderbread and Twinkies going to the SAME STORE must be delivered in DIFFERENT trucks driven by DIFFERENT drivers and unloaded by the APPROPRIATE driver.The Baker’s union contract required that the bread products and the cake products be loaded by separate designated loaders and unloaded at warehouses by different designated un-loaders. It sounds like leaders of management and the unions are to blame for the loss of employment for so many workers. My hopes that the workers will quickly find jobs at a better run company.
I doubt that Bimbo bakeries will give them similar terms.

My wife and I will buy a loaf of Wonder Bread now and again. We buy it because for a really good Hot Roast Beef sandwich we want white squishy bread. Anything left after the HRBS is used for french toast. Yep butter and syrup included.

AND, we bought Bimbo bread during our last trip to Roatan.

I have not had white bread in years, and then it was because the waitress screwed up the order. Wheat rules. Did Hostess even make wheat bread? If they did it doesn't matter as they never told me about it and thus never sold any of it to me.

I had the Bimbo versions of the Hostess Cupcakes on our Mexico cave diving trip. They were pretty good and I'm not worried about Hostess going down in flames - other than the impact it's had on the local economy.

I was not a Twinkie fan but I found myself eating the Hostess chocolate cupcakes maybe twice a year - usually while traveling, and never something I'd consider on a regular basis. I suspect that was part of the problem, on top of the whole not real good for you thing. Ice cream for example is high in sugar and fat and is almost the perfect heart attack inducing food (at least as bad as if not worse than a Twinkie) - yet ice cream companies advertise effectively and sell tons of the stuff. When's the last time you saw an ad for a Twinkie? I'll bet it was about the same time you saw an ad for Wonder Wheat bread.

I have not had white bread in years.....

Hey, sourdough bread with a nice thick crust works for me. Any number of French style white breads work for me too with an appropriate amount of real butter. They may not be healthy but that sure taste good. Wonder bread is what you feed ducks with.

My wife and I will buy a loaf of Wonder Bread now and again. We buy it because for a really good Hot Roast Beef sandwich we want white squishy bread. Anything left after the HRBS is used for french toast. Yep butter and syrup included.

AND, we bought Bimbo bread during our last trip to Roatan.
Is bread a rare purchase for you? We're wheat farms and I always have a loaf in the freezer. I have difficulties eating Chinese food without bread. :silly:

Wonder was a Hostess bran in the US, right - Weston brand in Canada and Bimbo brand in Mexico. I bet it comes back as a Bimbo brand, altho Bimbo trucks are rare in the US. (I thought it was a joke first time I saw a Bimbo bread T-shirt in Mexico. I don't shop groceries when I travel.)

I don't know that there is much difference between white and wheat bread anymore, as much as they have adjusted the processes. :idk:

Is bread a rare purchase for you? We're wheat farms and I always have a loaf in the freezer. I have difficulties eating Chinese food without bread. :silly:

Wonder was a Hostess bran in the US, right - Weston brand in Canada and Bimbo brand in Mexico. I bet it comes back as a Bimbo brand, altho Bimbo trucks are rare in the US. (I thought it was a joke first time I saw a Bimbo bread T-shirt in Mexico. I don't shop groceries when I travel.)

I don't know that there is much difference between white and wheat bread anymore, as much as they have adjusted the processes. :idk:

FWIW: There are Bimbo outlets all around you Don, in Lubbock, Abilene and Amarillo to name a few close by, there are 1000's in he US. They have their own original brand (Bimbo which is not a house hold brand in the US due to the negative name) and sell everything from Orowheat to Sara Lee to Thomas's to Arnolds. They are one of the largest baking and distribution companies in the US and have something like 12 billion in annual sales.

There is a loaf of bread around the house almost always. It is generally a whole grain bread. My wife likes to bake fresh french bread using white flour. But for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches (from left a over pot roast) we both like white squishy bread like Wonder bread. I guess we will probably start using the store brand or Bimbo or whatever for our Hot roast beef sandwiches, they have mashed potatoes and are covered with brown gravy and sliced roast beef, all of reported to be bad for you, it is comfort food. Wonder Bread made good french toast too.

Haven't had a twinkie for a while but I have bought the Hostess fruit pies or Ding Dongs not that long ago. I don't remember ever seeing a commercial for Twinkies, but I have see them for Wonder Bread.

None of what they made was commonly purchased for use by my household. The good riddance part of this whole thing isn't something I understand. If you want to feed it to ducks, have at it. If it is stale and there are some ducks around it will probably do for that too. There are a lot more things being sold that are a lot more deadly that a Twinkie or a Cup Cake.

Ok, I guess I am just acclimated to brown bread. The village Allsups/convenience store has some 2/$1 bread. Tried it once. :eek:

FWIW: There are Bimbo outlets all around you Don, in Lubbock, Abilene and Amarillo to name a few close by, there are 1000's in he US. They have their own original brand (Bimbo which is not a house hold brand in the US due to the negative name) and sell everything from Orowheat to Sara Lee to Thomas's to Arnolds. They are one of the largest baking and distribution companies in the US and have something like 12 billion in annual sales.
Oh, I know - largest in the world now. I was surprised to see them buy Mrs. Bairds, but life goes on.

Back
Top Bottom