TwinJets Suck Don't care much For ScubaPro'S TwinJet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TrickDaddy

Reaction score
I've read most of the threads on ScubaPro's TwinJet Graphite fin, I purchased a pair and I am not happy. First of all I have only used the things about 12 times and the buckle is done already, I have to replace that. Secondly I find I don't get the thrust I would like, They more tire me than
anything. I tried adjusting my kick to fast small kicks but that to me make me use more energy than if Im was kicking with big slow kicks. I am planing to purchase the Decor Tiger fin, as I need a fin to accomodate a slow big kick so i won't tire that beasily. Any ideas......

Regards
Trickdaddy

So far I've been pretty happy with the Tusa Xpert Zoom fins I bought. Haven't put a lot of strain on 'em yet, mostly in-pool work. They've got an angle just past the foot pocket to put them in line with the leg and not the foot (supposed to be more efficient) as well as being split. In the pool I was noticing a lot less effort than the scubapro paddle fins I had before. Don't know if that'll help or not, just my 2¢ worth.

I'll reporte some tests I made with the Apollo Biofins.

My experience was similar to yours. I found a 28% reduction in max speed compared to my usual paddle fins. However, my wife has had very good results with the Biofins, but realise she finds most scuba paddle fins too stiff for her.

I have briefly tried the Atomic Aquatics fins in a pool and they "feel" much better than the biofins. I haven't had access to a pair where I can do any quantitative tests yet.

Fin preferences are a very individual thing. You should try to test fins before buying, you can't believe everything you read.

Ralph

Hello fellow theaders,
I am glad that somebody agrees with me.. Thanks Ralph,
The ScubaPro's TwinJets reminds me of the story of "The Emperor's new cloths" Everyone is saying how wonderful there are when in fact, there are not that great. Bearing in mind that fins are a pref thing, I guess that there are divers that they really work for but I think that if fins are suppose to be that great, the performance should be great across the board for the majority of divers. I bought those fins because of post I read about how great they were, I sure am sorry I spent $180.00 Plus shipping.... I think I will get the Dacor Tigers and stick to the traditional fin style... It seems I am the Little kid that realised the Emperor is not wearing any cloths...

TrickDaddy (I got Tricked)

You might be disappointed in the Dacor Tigers as well. While I haven't heard anything specifically pretaining to them, I've read more than once that the Mares Volos have a tendency to break at the hinge after only 30-40 dives. The Tigers look an aweful lot like the Volos. Just something else for you to consider.

I've been using Atomic Splitfins for several months now and I love them. Can't say enough good things about them, but since you didn't like the ScubaPros, you probably wouldn't like them either.

If you want a traditional style fin, the Mares Quattros are hard to beat. The ScubaPro Jets, not Twin Jets, are also raved about.

I love my Graphite twin jets. They move my big bulk around faster than anything else I've used, with less effort, and I have minimum cramping problem.

I lent them to an army SF dive buddy, who is a much better athlete than I am, and he didn't like them at all; felt they slowed him down compared to his Scubapro traditional jets, which don't work for me at all.

It's all about preferences and body type and finning style.

Aloha,

JOnathan
kalepa@maui.net

I bought the Mares AvantiX3 paddle fins and thought they were ok until I tried out my son's new BioFins. Boy what a difference. With little effort the BioFins propelled me through the water. When I switched back to mine I felt stuck in the mud.

I'm a believer.

Jimbo

personally speaking I think the mares quattros are great. Just a little kick and glide...fantastic!

Linda

I've owned the Quattros, the Jetfins, Duckfeet, Blades, Rondines, long fins, short fins, you name it. A versatile fin for scuba is the Jetfin(old style). It does a lot of things well but is not spectacular in any single aspect. There are a few others which produce more speed but at a price. Like the rather stiff Quattro, they produce speed but also burn energy(air) big time. However, regardless of the particular brand, the performances vary only by degree since they are heavily compromised by the basic design approach.

The Apollo is the only splitfin I own(or tried) and am satified with its performance. It is there for you on the long haul with 20% less air consumption than with the paddles. It is plenty fast enough on a sustained swim against a current. I used them to buck a one knot Gulfstream current for a half hour at 90 feet, made good progress up the reef and never got winded.

SCUBA is not about racing or doing laps in a pool, its about sustained moderate effort in pursuit of an objective. Bursts of effort may be required but are not the primary objective. It is about comfort, convenience, sustained effort and conserving energy. The diver shouldn't even be aware of the fins and the Biofin meets all the above.

Not only do the fins employ "propeller" technology but they incorporate an offset blade which improves alignment with the calf and more efficient thrust. They are made of indestructable live gum rubber, still the most efficient blade material in existence. The foot pocket is cramp free, wonderfully comfortable. Sizes run large, watch that; also, I don't know longevity of buckles at this time. Because of the thick gum rubber, they are fairly heavy.

Although this thread is not about freediving, I should mention that I've always been heavy into this. The usual gear is a 3 foot long blade, Dessault or similar. A dive to 60 feet requires a fairly fast downward thrust, fast enough to require instant equalization.( No "vasalva" maneuver please). For the time being, this is not split fin territory. Everything else is, IMO.

Trick Daddy, I too agree with you on this one. If you've got a lot of leg power like I do, and have been using Torquey fins for some time, it's no wonder you are unhappy with those fins.

I use, prefer and love my Idea 3's. I've run circles around other divers in sprints, and love the fact that I can rocket through the water to catch up to the occasional distracted student.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom