Twin Set Considerations/ Manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this I'd like to see.....

please post a picture and/or a link to such a thing....
I've seen them fly around at marine markets but I know for sure you could get them custom made or sent in and re-welded.

:happywave: - perhaps I'm "ripe"...

@rhwestfall,

I debated whether to ask you this here, or over on VDH, but since we're both here, here goes: You've lived awhile with your double Al 63's feeding your DH regulator. Any concerns/regrets? Specifically, if you were able to do it over, then, for diving dry, would you again choose double Al 63's? Or, for diving dry, would you prefer double old-school steel 72's? Something else, maybe? And why?

TIA,

rx7diver

@rx7diver - Interesting question..... I had the 63's, and they weren't being used, so I went with them. One of the reasons was the fact they are short, and could be worn low (as you want with a DH) without issues. I recently obtained a matching pair of 72's and some vintage bands that I intended to put into use as doubles, but COVID ended all diving for me in 2020.... Hope to get to them for 2021. I think I will like the 72's more than the 63's, but until I try them, it is a mystery...

The modern Faber LP85's interest me as they are possibly the same diameter as the old 72's, and would then fit vintage bands, and work with the C-C spacing of the solid bar manifold...

Dry suit means needing weight, so steel would be my choice as there isn't as much swing empty-to-full as aluminums. I hate weight belts. For that reason I have a 16# plate for diving single tanks dry.

The real question is, "why do you want twins?" Part of it for me was "to be different"....

@rx7diver - Interesting question..... I had the 63's, and they weren't being used, so I went with them. One of the reasons was the fact they are short, and could be worn low (as you want with a DH) without issues. I recently obtained a matching pair of 72's and some vintage bands that I intended to put into use as doubles, but COVID ended all diving for me in 2020.... Hope to get to them for 2021. I think I will like the 72's more than the 63's, but until I try them, it is a mystery...

The modern Faber LP85's interest me as they are possibly the same diameter as the old 72's, and would then fit vintage bands, and work with the C-C spacing of the solid bar manifold...

Dry suit means needing weight, so steel would be my choice as there isn't as much swing empty-to-full as aluminums. I hate weight belts. For that reason I have a 16# plate for diving single tanks dry.

The real question is, "why do you want twins?" Part of it for me was "to be different"....
Yes to be different is a reason too but I think i would go for the new 85s or the old 63s and what do you mean by ( DH) "and could be worn low (as you want with a DH) without issues."

DH = double hose....

To get the proper performance out of a double hose regulator, the can should be between your shoulder blades (and also touching your body). That means wearing the tank much lower than you would with a single hose regulator.

no...

one of these:
DSC_2932.JPG

@rx7diver - Interesting question...

Okay, thanks. For wetsuit diving, I likely will go with double Luxfer Al 63's to use with my DA Aqua Master. I'm hopeful that my OMS bands that fit double PST HP 80/100/120's and double Luxfer Al 80's, will work with the U.S. Divers manifold and 63's. We'll see. I don't own any Al tanks, though, so I'll need to purchase a couple of 63's.

And I will experiment to see if my VDH back plate will work for me with the double 63's and DH reg. The VDH back plate has worked for other DH divers with other doubles, I think.

I think I'll hold off, for now, on assembling things for drysuit diving. One step at a time, correct??!!

Thanks,

rx7diver

And I will experiment to see if my VDH back plate will work for me with the double 63's and DH reg. The VDH back plate has worked for other DH divers with other doubles, I think.

Do you mean the "Vintage" [flat] plate? If yes, then yes. You do need to get some book screws and use the female end to fasten the plate to the bolts. Also, to account for flex, I have delrin spacers between the tank and the plate .At least that is how I do it.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom