Twin Set Considerations/ Manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya then maybe a single is better, what's the biggest single you've seen? I know i can get a single 130 faber for like $400, but you know sometimes bigger is better.

I've personally never seen a HP tank over 130 cubic feet, but both Faber and Worthington have made HP149's, maybe you can find one if you look around. LP108's and LP120's are pretty common, and hold 160 and 180 cubic feet, respectively, when filled to 4k psi. Which, I understand is pretty common in your neck of the woods. Either way, tanks that big are really heavy: 43lbs for an HP100, 55lbs for an HP130, 60 lbs for an HP149 or cave-filled LP108, 65lbs for a cave-filled LP120.

There's a reason why doubles manifolded with an isolator is such a common configuration, and doubles manifolded without an isolator is basically not seen at all today. The isolator adds substantial safety, at a low cost (in any units of cost: dollars, training, weight, failure points). Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard of someone who dives that config today. Although I'm sure half a dozen "ripe" divers might pop in this thread to say they used to do it back in the 80s before they switched to independent doubles and then to manifold+isolator doubles.

Proper doubles or a big single are both better configs than jury-rigging a manifold with no isolator.

:happywave: - perhaps I'm "ripe"....

twin 63 on a military solid bar manifold;
GOPR1063.JPG

first dive with it, and needed to trim the waist belt...

Hello. I happen to use US Divers Solid Bar Manifolds. One port outlet and a J valve which can be used if you like that type of diving. It can also be removed or blocked, or modified to create a SPG port. I’ll throw a link to where you can get some. Service kits are widely available all over the web, cheapest on eBay.

Additionally, because fewer o rings and moving parts in this manifold, it is actually safer to use than two port (standard) DIR manifolds. That is why militaries around the world use them. But, that is just my opinion and understanding based on common sense. Some DIR folks might disagree with me.

AhoyFed

Here you go. For $120 you can have yourself a proper manifold.

I used to buy them from a US Navy surplus dealer in Guam for $50 a pop. Should’ve gotten more

About Us

AhoyFed

I used to buy them from a US Navy surplus dealer in Guam for $50 a pop. Should’ve gotten more

About Us

AhoyFed

Thank you for the link, @AhoyFed. Your link was for a used manifold. I looked and saw that NOS manifolds are offered, too. I just ordered one of these NOS along with a service kit. I just received a confirmation e-mail.

Thanks again.

rx7diver

About Us

AhoyFed
Thanks that was just what i was looking for, they don't say how OLD it is tho. Kinda concerns me that it may be unsafe to use and need to be rebuilt.

you also need to locate bands that are compatible. Back then, the center-to-center spacing was different than modern manifolds and bands....

As to age, a NOS is highly likely to be fine as is.... then again, using this type of equipment leads to some self ability to work on things, and to locate necessary parts.

The bands and spacing should be the same. These manifolds are still used by navy divers today, with a fancy us divers horseshoe wing. Too bad you can’t get this stuff at your local dive store like you could back in the day.

I’ve used manifolds from the 1980s, 1960s, and even a valve from 1955. They haven’t changed much fortunately so that many parts are cross compatible. If your LDS can service a Sherwood valve or a Thermo Valve, good chance they can service this one. Schematics are also available. Glad I could help out a bit.

AhoyFed

The bands and spacing should be the same. These manifolds are still used by navy divers today, with a fancy us divers horseshoe wing. Too bad you can’t get this stuff at your local dive store like you could back in the day.

I’ve used manifolds from the 1980s, 1960s, and even a valve from 1955. They haven’t changed much fortunately so that many parts are cross compatible. If your LDS can service a Sherwood valve or a Thermo Valve, good chance they can service this one. Schematics are also available. Glad I could help out a bit.

AhoyFed
yes my shop can easily service them and their are bands that can be adjusted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom