Twin regulator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats a twin regulator?
That was my question, too.
I suppose they refer to a set of two regulators, to be used on a manifolded twin tank.
I use two normal regulators (actually 2 MK5+R109), either on my 15-liter steel tank and on my 9+9 liters twin tank.
I do not really understand why other divers feel the need to use different sets for a single tank or a twin tank. I suppose that it is because they use some weird hose routing... Or perhaps they use a single tank with just one post?

I'm still a while out from "needing" a set, but I'm looking ahead to getting my extended range cert. I currently have the Aqualung Lengend for my single tanks, and have been very happy with it. My LDS is an aqualung dealer, so getting service is always quick and thorough. I see that aqualung doesn't make a dedicated twin set, so I'm looking for other recommendations, or thoughts on just building a twin set. I'll be going for twins, and not side mount, so keep that in mind. I'm already piecing together a set of tanks, and have the OMS backplate that I'll be swapping out the wing on to a twins wing. I currently dive long hose donate with a i770R, so I would like to stay with that format since it's what I'm used to.
Love it. I would just buy the same regulator if I were you.

I prefer the rubber hoses.

2nd stages do not technically need to be O2 cleaned. The pressure to the 2nd stage is low enough that you do not need to worry about it. Just common sense cleaning, gloves, and O2 compatible lube.

O2 cleaning for a 1st stage is not rocket science and I really do not understand why shops charge extra for it. Every reg I touch gets treated as if it will be used with O2. If a shop charges extra for O2 cleaning I have to wonder what extra effort they are making and why it's extra? How sloppy are they? The kits are no more expensive, the lube cost is negligible, and why aren't they using gloves and doing proper cleaning as a matter of standard practice?

Gloves, cleaning, lube only with Tribolube, and all the service kits I get for the HOG and Deep Six regs have O2 compatible o-rings.
Only the Edge Nano kit doesn't contain them but I still use Tribolube and the same procedures.

Charging extra for O2 cleaning doesn't make sense if you set up a standard and stick to it.
Charge extra for Tribolube? For maybe 10 cents worth if you look at the actual amount used? Gouging.

If you are using an unsealed piston it still needs some lube on the internal o-rings.

and this is why I have had Jim service almost all of my regs and I have quite a few. Jim goes the extra mile and on top of that the prices are under local LDS's for better work as they charge even more for "02' cleaning.

There is a reg service class on the horizon though.

That was my question, too.
I suppose they refer to a set of two regulators, to be used on a manifolded twin tank.
I use two normal regulators (actually 2 MK5+R109), either on my 15-liter steel tank and on my 9+9 liters twin tank.
I do not really understand why other divers feel the need to use different sets for a single tank or a twin tank. I suppose that it is because they use some weird hose routing... Or perhaps they use a single tank with just one post?
Same here, I swap my scubapro reg between singles, multiple twins and side mount, no problem. I thought they were some kind of mirrored set of first stages.

I'm still a while out from "needing" a set, but I'm looking ahead to getting my extended range cert. I currently have the Aqualung Lengend for my single tanks, and have been very happy with it. My LDS is an aqualung dealer, so getting service is always quick and thorough. I see that aqualung doesn't make a dedicated twin set, so I'm looking for other recommendations, or thoughts on just building a twin set. I'll be going for twins, and not side mount, so keep that in mind. I'm already piecing together a set of tanks, and have the OMS backplate that I'll be swapping out the wing on to a twins wing. I currently dive long hose donate with a i770R, so I would like to stay with that format since it's what I'm used to.
Since you're already diving with a long hose, and you like your current reg set and you have a LDS who sells and services that brand, I would recommend you just buy another 1st stage exactly like the one you have, then move your long hose and wing inflator hose over from your current first stage to the new one. Then you put what's left of the current reg set on the left post and the new one on the right post and off you go.
Done. For just the cost of a new 1st stage you now have a twin set ready to dive.

Back
Top Bottom