Twin regulator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaneda13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm still a while out from "needing" a set, but I'm looking ahead to getting my extended range cert. I currently have the Aqualung Lengend for my single tanks, and have been very happy with it. My LDS is an aqualung dealer, so getting service is always quick and thorough. I see that aqualung doesn't make a dedicated twin set, so I'm looking for other recommendations, or thoughts on just building a twin set. I'll be going for twins, and not side mount, so keep that in mind. I'm already piecing together a set of tanks, and have the OMS backplate that I'll be swapping out the wing on to a twins wing. I currently dive long hose donate with a i770R, so I would like to stay with that format since it's what I'm used to.

Take a look at Hog or Deep 6. Their prices are reasonable and their hose routing is nicer than the Aqualungs for twinsets.

We also offer regs from various brands, including our own DGX Gears value brand, in twinset configurations...

However, if you like the service from your Aqualung local dealer, then Apeks (a brand owned by Aqualung) does offer a suitable extreme configuration...

Dedicated regs for back mounted twin set?
The only one I know is Apeks TEK3 and they are/were not everyone favourite.
Just add another AL and make sure the hose routing is acceptable.

I love Poseidon Xstream (have the olders 2005 deep on left and deep 90 on right), totally bullet proof. But they are expensive to buy, and misses turrets.
Using Dive Rite XT for sidemount, bailout, and they are quite nice for hose routing, as the deep6, hog, dgx, apeks DST (specially with 5th Port), MK25, etc because of turrets, in out of Air you may gain about 25cm of hose rotating it.

I'm still a while out from "needing" a set, but I'm looking ahead to getting my extended range cert. I currently have the Aqualung Lengend for my single tanks, and have been very happy with it. My LDS is an aqualung dealer, so getting service is always quick and thorough. I see that aqualung doesn't make a dedicated twin set, so I'm looking for other recommendations, or thoughts on just building a twin set. I'll be going for twins, and not side mount, so keep that in mind. I'm already piecing together a set of tanks, and have the OMS backplate that I'll be swapping out the wing on to a twins wing. I currently dive long hose donate with a i770R, so I would like to stay with that format since it's what I'm used to.
If they are AquaLung dealers, they can bring in Apeks regulators and they have everything you will need for tech. diving.

If they are AquaLung dealers, they can bring in Apeks regulators and they have everything you will need for tech. diving.

Forgot to mention that with the XTX50 second stages you want the DST first stage. It has the fifth port and the rotating turret. Makes hose routing much nicer.

How well do you like and trust your shop? A number of people start out being big fans of the first and often only shop they know and then discover the "deals" and "service" they got is not always the best.
The issue with some brands is that dealers can lose their dealership if they are caught giving their customers what would be considered good deals. 10% off MSRP is not a deal. 10% off MSP (minimum selling price) is not a deal. Those are gimmicks.
Keep that in mind.
Next to consider is how much and how far into doubles diving are you planning to go. Doubles will allow you to get into trouble much easier than a single tank. So more training and at least one or two stage bottles for deco cylinders. Once you cross that line owning 3 reg sets is the minimum with 4 being more the norm. If you really get into it, owning 6-10 is not uncommon. This brings you into the "service can be a killer" territory and being able to do your own regs is a must unless you have money to throw away.
Also being able to do them on your schedule when they need it and not on some shop's timeline could possibly save you from having a $300 fill just setting in cylinders because the shop is taking weeks to turn your regs around.
Those same brands that don't allow dealers to give good deals, also do not allow their dealers to sell you service kits and don't provide training.
Others do. I'm coming up on ten years of training divers to service their own regs with brand blessing.
HOG and Deep Six allow the sales of parts kits and provide training.
DGX has the manuals for their branded regs in the product descriptions (I wrote them) and will sell you the kits. They recommend getting training from an experienced source.
A reg set can cost you 100 bucks plus to get serviced. Take that times however many regs you have.
In the big scheme of tech diving a few hundred dollars is not a huge deal for some but for many it is.
Cutting out those labor costs will make sense down the road as well as be insurance against a shop or tech moving, retiring, closing, or taking the ol dirt nap.
I dive HOG, Deep Six, and the DGX regs in different configurations. I've sold off some of my regs that weren't getting used but I still have more than I need as my own diving takes a different path. Not having to pay someone to service the regs I own/have owned has saved my thousands over the last 15 years or so.

Next to consider is how much and how far into doubles diving are you planning to go. Doubles will allow you to get into trouble much easier than a single tank. So more training and at least one or two stage bottles for deco cylinders. Once you cross that line owning 3 reg sets is the minimum with 4 being more the norm. If you really get into it, owning 6-10 is not uncommon. This brings you into the "service can be a killer" territory and being able to do your own regs is a must unless you have money to throw away.

Thank you for the enlightening post! I am in the same boat as the OP hence this discussion is very relevant to me. Since my goals are for extended range only with limited deco (<30min, imagined as of today) I intend to get two turret 1st stages with a 5th port option (also sidemount training). My question really is about a 3rd reg to begin with - would the Apeks DS4 make a good choice for stage bottles when using the turret regs for backmount? If not good for stage would adding a 90deg LP adapter to the DS4 make it an acceptable choice for backmount regs? Lastly do I need a 3rd turret reg for stage bottles when doing sidemount? Or will the DS4 be acceptable?

Back
Top Bottom