Twin Quarries, Circleville: 1st quarry dive, 1st dive in OH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dove in Twin Quarries, Circleville OH today. 1st solo dive, 1st altitude dive, 1st dive in OH. Weather was a bright, chilly 40F air temp, with water temps at 50. This was a fun and very shallow (max depth 19'), well laid out course. There were buses, trucks, an airplane, boats, culverts, pipes and lots of curious bluegill sunfish. Saw 1 large catfish and several bass, but for the most part the fish were tiny. Zebra mussels could be seen on some of the boats. This should help make this a clearer quarry. The blond mannequin in the bathtub made me laugh.

Altitude dive? Altitude dive? There's no altitude diving in Ohio. That area (Circleville/Columbus) is 700-900 feet in elevation.

Glad you enjoyed your dive! You should make the trip to Gilboa Quarry MUCH nicer than Circleville.
Ber :lilbunny:

Dove in Twin Quarries, Circleville OH today. 1st solo dive, 1st altitude dive, 1st dive in OH. Weather was a bright, chilly 40F air temp, with water temps at 50. This was a fun and very shallow (max depth 19'), well laid out course. There were buses, trucks, an airplane, boats, culverts, pipes and lots of curious bluegill sunfish. Saw 1 large catfish and several bass, but for the most part the fish were tiny. Zebra mussels could be seen on some of the boats. This should help make this a clearer quarry. The blond mannequin in the bathtub made me laugh.

Sorry you missed us! There was a group of us up at Gilboa over the weekend, that would have made a better introduction to Ohio quarry diving than CTQ! You could have seen BIG rainbows, several cats, bass, foot long bluegills, and lots of stuff on the bottom. Shallow end about 65', deep end much deeper.

Ken

Altitude dive? Altitude dive? There's no altitude diving in Ohio. That area (Circleville/Columbus) is 700-900 feet in elevation.

Glad you enjoyed your dive! You should make the trip to Gilboa Quarry MUCH nicer than Circleville.

Awww, you can always pretend, and go through the calculations. You know, like YOU made us do in AOW class!

Ken

Im sure glad you said something ber I was thinking my dive computer must be off I know it said 700 ft last time I was at Circleville I'm pretty sure they dont consider that an altitude dive.

Im sure glad you said something ber I was thinking my dive computer must be off I know it said 700 ft last time I was at Circleville I'm pretty sure they dont consider that an altitude dive.

You drove all the way from Michigan to dive Circleville? Wow! I won't even drive there from Dayton LOL!

You drove all the way from Michigan to dive Circleville? Wow! I won't even drive there from Dayton LOL!

And some of us who dive both places with some frequency will disagree .... CTQ has it's good points as well.

And some of us who dive both places with some frequency will disagree .... CTQ has it's good points as well.

Yep, where else can you spend the entire dive on the bottom, and log a 2-3 hour dive! (Natural Springs . . . .)

Ken

Done that - at least to the two hour point. One of these days I'll take a 119 and sling an 80 or so and see what transpires. NSR has a nice entry and the trench, but I don't like the assault on one's senses when dropping through the thermocline to cruise the trench - not to mention low viz. The other thing neither Gilboa or NSR have is Gibby's sports bar/restruaunt in Circleville. Best burgers in Ohio unless you want to step-up to something like the Cheesecake Factory (and spend your gear upgrade money on a meal).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom