Diving GoPro with the BlurFix and URPro GR Filter (Freshwater Quarry Diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaProHd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Everyone,

We had a customer contact us with feedback about his experience with a stock GoPro and a GoPro with a BlurFix and URPro GR filter. Everyone has seen the the BlurFix in action in beautiful Caribbean water. But what about us divers that are land locked and diving the local quarry? In a single word. WOW!!!

We took a few frames from his video and wanted to share a comparison of a stock Gopro vs a GoPro + BlurFix + URPro GR Filter. Read his comment and enjoy the show! Make sure to watch it in HD.

It was nice talking to you today and I'm really looking forward to testing the GoPro camera mount. It sounds very cool! As you requested below is a short narrative of conditions during the shooting of the footage. Please let me know if you'd like more detail. I was trying to keep it somewhat brief.

The footage I used to create my comparison video was shot on 2 separate dives at the Circleville Twin Quarries of Ohio. Both dives were done on typical semi overcast Midwest winter days. The first video was shot on December 30, 2011 with the GoPro Hero2 in a stock housing with the stock curved lens. The second video was shot on January 10, 2012 using a BlurFix Adapter with the URPro GR filter. The water temperature on both dives was between 38 and 40 degrees with visibility of 15 to 20 feet max. The visibility was actually the best on the first dive. The quarry was a little stirred up on the second dive since it had been raining for a couple of days prior. The only artificial light used on either dive was the light from my buddies flash light pointing out the big shovel head catfish under the boat on second dive.

[video=youtube_share;4o5InmD_rng]http://youtu.be/4o5InmD_rng[/video]

Thanks for sharing the video Jeff. You should be receiving our new toy in the next week or so. Have fun with it!

Good to see how the GR filter works as I still haven't had a chance to use mine yet. The non filter footage looks almost like night vision, Ive only ever done one dive where the water was that colour but it was before I started using filters.

What is really incredible is that this video doesn't by any means fully highlight the magnitude the difference the BlurFix with the URPro GR filter made on the footage. The effect is even more dramatic with the original higher quality footage straight from the Hero2 compared to the YouTube video's lower quality. The before and after close-up shots of items in the quarry are incredible. I was absolutely amazed at the amount of detail and color correction that I got using the BlurFix system.

@buckeye - Would you share the complete video. I'm sure others would enjoy seeing it. Once again thanks for sharing.

This is the complete comparison video I shot on two dives at the Circleville Twin Quarries. The 1st I used the standard GoPro lens and the 2nd I used the BlurFix with the URPro GR filter. Other then putting the footage together I did not do any other manipulation (like white balancing) to the footage.

[video=youtube_share;zBxbJ6IOko0]http://youtu.be/zBxbJ6IOko0[/video]

Quite a big difference!!!

Very cool. Great video. Another testament to Blurfix too. Awesome product, even better support.

Quick question on the GR filter. Would the GR filter be similar to the CY filter as far as depth? I plan on taking my Hero2 to some local creeks here in TN and NC, where the water usually is very clear and depth is no more than 10 feet. Would the GR filter be needed or would the clear filter be fine?

Very cool. Great video. Another testament to Blurfix too. Awesome product, even better support.

Quick question on the GR filter. Would the GR filter be similar to the CY filter as far as depth? I plan on taking my Hero2 to some local creeks here in TN and NC, where the water usually is very clear and depth is no more than 10 feet. Would the GR filter be needed or would the clear filter be fine?

I'm no expert, but if the water has any type of a green tint from algae then I think you would benefit from the filter. My video with the filter is much closer to what the water was actually like at the quarry. The video without the filter is way off on the white balance. I think the GoPro was trying to compensate for the ambient light level and it turned everything very greenish.

very impressive!
we do alot of diving here locally, where water can be green or just downright dark and murky, so I am guessing if we get one of these, we will need both filters. Where are the filters sold and how much?

robin

Check out the link at the bottom of the first post (below the 3 GoPros) for AquaPro HD. That is where I bought my GR filter.

Hey Buckeye, I'm glad you made this video. I just got a Hero 2 and I dive Circleville. Looks like I will definitely be getting the BlurFix and GR filter!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom