Twin Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never seen anyone getting green hair from Blue Lagoon, but I've heard that about Athens Scuba park. The PH in BL is high so I do wash my gear off extra well afterwards. It's barren, no plants or life except a few little critters, but the water is usually clearer than TL. It's nothing to write home about but a good place for gear checkout and skills practice. There are some sunken boats to putter around. Max depth around 28'. Surface Interval just had an event there April 1/2 and I know Alan was there.

The new place is Mammoth Lake, to be operated by Hyrdosports Scuba in Clute, down near Freeport. CHUM visited the site last Sunday and had a nice BBQ picnic at about 50' (on the future lakebed), you can read our impressions and see photos in the gallery. If the viz is as good as hoped for, it will be the premier dive site in this area and a great alternative for the FG trips that get blown out. There will be a ton of neat objects there (fighter plane, mock shuttle parts, numerous boats, former Astroworld stuff, maybe even a sub. Some areas are expected to be up to 80' deep. It is (as far as I know) the first scuba park designed from the ground up, literally before it has water in it. It is still a commercial sandpit operation and only has water in a few small places. They will turn off the pumps at the end of this year and it will fill from groundwater, and should be open for summer 2007.

BillT5:
Reefhound, you make them sound so close!! Blue Lagoon is 90 miles from my house in Deer Park. Twin Lakes is about 35 miles from me. That explains why I spent so much time at TL last year!

Yeah, when you live in a city that can be 90 miles from one suburb to another, distance depends a lot on what part of town you live in. Fortunately, both places are convenient to a nearby freeway so it's mostly cruising miles (depending on traffic).

Mammoth lake sounds like it's going to be awesome, cant wait till it opens.D:

colt:
Mammoth lake sounds like it's going to be awesome, cant wait till it opens.D:

That's a pretty good summary of how our club feels after our visit.

Dang, dove with Alan a little yesterday at CSSP; could have asked him more about Blue Lagoon.

Mammoth Lake sounds like it will be really great, and a great alternative for the FG blow-outs. Wish we didn't have to wait for 2007l

The lake I've heard of is already open...I think. For some reason the name Jackson comes to mind. I'll see if I can check back on the site I saw the post when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks for the info guys!

Lake Jackson is the name of a city down there.

Back
Top Bottom