Twin Lakes: the review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fetch

Contributor
Reaction score
Greg and Jose, feel free to add to this :wink:

Twin Lakes Scuba Park

Facilities: non-existent
Special attractions: a bus and some boats... but we never saw them
Convenience: walking 100 yards or so with your gear from the car to picnic tables through mud soup in Texas heat is painful, to say the least :wink:
Cost: too much for the amnenities (sp)
Diving: Easily silted waters, attractions require surface swim from insertion, pronounced thermocline

Look, I'll give jumping into the pond by the police station a chance once, but even I can't be very forgiving on this one :)

ScubaPark needs to buoy their attractions, add another insertion point near the owner's office, gravel the path to the current insertion stairwell, and add some facilities suited for divers before I'd readily consider going again. The site is very very weather dependent. Apparently it is quite often 15' vis, but after a storm like Saturday's, it is 5' at best and then 0 when you silt up the bottom.

Max depth for me was 35', temp I think was in the 60s.

Jose, Greg, and I talked about hitting Blue Lagoon in Huntsville this weekend, anyone potentially interested? I don't know about BL night diving policies... does anyone else? That would seem like a good way to avoid OW cert silting :) (mind you, I certainly do enough of my own for 2 or 3 normal students :wink: )

Jeff

Fetch's review is accurate eventhough he left out a few details like Jose nearly getting stuck in the soup. The park is also part of an RV park which kinda of surprised me.

Now I understand it is a work in progress, and you can tell that the owners are working on it. I'm sure it will be a better place once they finish the job. That being said I don't think it'll be a place that I visit often.

DiverG

Originally posted by Fetch
....Jose, Greg, and I talked about hitting Blue Lagoon in Huntsville this weekend, anyone potentially interested? I don't know about BL night diving policies... does anyone else? That would seem like a good way to avoid OW cert silting :) (mind you, I certainly do enough of my own for 2 or 3 normal students :wink: )

Jeff

Night diving is not allowed at Blue Lagoon unless there is an Instructor present and on the dive. Camping is allowed but only with an Instructor...in case someone tries to night dive.

At least those have been the rules for the last 5 years.

Well Gents,

I think you hit all the high spots of the trip. Don't think I will be returning any time soon!:rolleyes:

Well I drove by there on Saturday as I knew I couldn't make it on Easter. Didn't look to exciting from the shore. That's too bad.
It would be great to have some where to get wet so close to where I live. Is the "Reef" any better, it's also close to Pearland?

I have heard others on the board decry the "Reef", as well :)

Honestly, from the description, Twin Lakes is probably more enjoyable than Reef, but only by a matter of degree :)

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom