Twin Lakes have you heard anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merminge:
I would want to see proof of good water test results also.

I talked to someone who actually got sick there and they ran their own water test. It was over the limit on fecal chloroform. That was when Twin Lakes got shut down.

Was this water test done through official channels? Do you have official proof of those test? If he was 'shut down', by whose authority?

Please don't be passing rumors or making unfounded accusations. If you have official knowledge of any wrong doing we need to hear it. But these types of comments and accusations can only ruin a business.

merminge:

I talked to someone who actually got sick there and they ran their own water test. It was over the limit on fecal chloroform. That was when Twin Lakes got shut down.

Dee is right, there's no purpose served in hearsay.

The water is safe or it isn't. If it's really OK, then we are just shooting ourselves in the foot by spreading rumors since we already suffer a shortage of decent local dive sites. If it's not, then it needs to be pursued through official channels. If you truly have such evidence, file a complaint with the Texas Commission of Environmental Quality and they can check it out.

It is more than hearsay.

I know the person that got sick. They took a sample themselves and had the test run. They took the results privately to the owner who voluntarily closed the lake.

Believe me, I was reluctant to say anything but I would sure like to know something like this.

merminge:

Just some information on Fecal Coliform...which I believe is what you meant here. :)

SOURCE of Fecal Coliform:
Coliform bacteria are a natural part of the microbiology of the intestinal tract of warm blooded mammals, including man. Coliform bacteria can also be found in soil, other animals, insects, etc. The total coliform group is relatively easy to culture in the lab, and therefore, has been selected as the primary indicator bacteria for the presence of disease causing organisms.

Potential Health Hazards:
Coliform bacteria are not pathogenic (disease causing) organisms, and are only mildly infectious. For this reason these bacteria are relatively safe to work with in the laboratory. If large numbers of coliforms are found in water, there is a high probability that other pathogenic bacteria or organisms, such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium, may be present. The PADEP requires public drinking water supplies to demonstrate the absence of total coliform per 100 mls (about 4 oz) of drinking water.

ReefHound:
Dee is right, there's no purpose served in hearsay.

The water is safe or it isn't. If it's really OK, then we are just shooting ourselves in the foot by spreading rumors since we already suffer a shortage of decent local dive sites. If it's not, then it needs to be pursued through official channels. If you truly have such evidence, file a complaint with the Texas Commission of Environmental Quality and they can check it out.

Just wanted to mention that I visited the TCEQ website and found no complaints for Twin Lakes in the last two years...went through about 200 records. Which means this may have been reported to the Brazoria Health Department instead.

Did the individual who took the samples follow proper sampling protocols?
Did the individual who took the samples properly preserve those samples for testing?
Who did the testing?

TwoBit

Any updates on Twin Lakes? Their web site is still showing "park under construction". I was going to call but they replaced the entire site with a one page "construction" notice. I can't even call them to get any info.

http://www.scubapark.net/

Richard

Looked as if the construction traffic there had slowed down this last week. I was too busy to stop by and check, but I will try to go by there today or tomorrow and find out from Mike.

PacketSniffer:
Any updates on Twin Lakes? Their web site is still showing "park under construction". I was going to call but they replaced the entire site with a one page "construction" notice. I can't even call them to get any info.

http://www.scubapark.net/

Richard

Richard, here is the number I have for Twin Lakes. :14:

Back
Top Bottom