Twin Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian_Diver:
I have a set of BLACK Twin Jets and don't have either of these problems. I can swim a strong current just fine, and there isnt' a kick that I can't do well. :06:

I'm glad they work out fine for you. Are the black ones more stiff?

I have tried the blue ones and find them not usefull in strong currents. When I am guiding a group of divers through some current I almost always see the divers with split fins struggling in the back.

Stijn:

I have tried the blue ones and find them not usefull in strong currents. When I am guiding a group of divers through some current I almost always see the divers with split fins struggling in the back.

Yes, the black ones are the stiffest. We tested a bunch of them in different colours. The coloured ones use a different type of rubber, or mixture of rubber. We found the blue ones (and other colours) way too soft and floppy.

The only use we could see for the coloured ones is for folks that have leg injuries or weak legs.

Canadian_Diver:
Yes, the black ones are the stiffest. We tested a bunch of them in different colours. The coloured ones use a different type of rubber, or mixture of rubber. We found the blue ones (and other colours) way too soft and floppy.

The only use we could see for the coloured ones is for folks that have leg injuries or weak legs.

I have the yellow twin jets (no weak legs or injuries though!).. No problems with them and I don't feel as if they slow me down much, even with a current. I also like the fact that they're lightweight, buoyant, and my buddies can see me a mile(ok not quite that far!) away because of their bright color. :D
They *are* pretty soft though so I can see where people might not like that..

Stijn:

The split fins are very popular with divers who have weak leg muscles, because they're easier to kick, produce fewer leg cramps, and are more comfortable. No surprise that divers with weak leg muscles struggle against a current--with any fin.

Please, I am NOT saying that YOU are weak if YOU use split fins. They are still very comfortable fins, even for those of us who are strong swimmers.

theskull

MissyP:
I have the yellow twin jets (no weak legs or injuries though!).. No problems with them and I don't feel as if they slow me down much, even with a current. I also like the fact that they're lightweight, buoyant, and my buddies can see me a mile(ok not quite that far!) away because of their bright color. :D
They *are* pretty soft though so I can see where people might not like that..

Hey Missy. No doubt, what works for one may not work for another due to our physical characteristics and personal preference.

When we did our tests, all the test subjects were male. So, the best we could assume is that for a guy, we found the black (stiffer) ones worked better. This could be the simple fact that men, generally speaking, are physically stronger than females.

Here's a neat way to look at it....

Ever notice that most sports cars with powerful engines typically have very large wheels? Think of the engine as someone's body, and the wheels are the fins.

Now, think of a Dodge Viper with a V12 engine in it. If you put the wheels of a Geo Metro on it, the vehicle would never reach it's optimal performance level. The engine would work very hard, but the vehicle would not go as fast as it is designed to.

Now, think of a Geo Metro with a tiny little 1.3L 3cyl engine in it. If you put the big wheels off a Dodge Viper on it, the little engine would burn out in short time from the amount of resistance the larger tires are putting on the engine.

With that said, it's all personal preference and finding the fin that works the best for you.

BTW, thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot, the black ones are slightly negative buoyant vs the coloured ones, which are slightly positive.

Cheers!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom