Twin Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigwaves

Reaction score
I am brand new to diving and just purchased a pair of scubapro twin jet fins from my local dive shop. I also bought a Mares X vision mask. I was wondering what the low down is on the fins. The other fins I was looking at were the quattros by Mares I think. Which are better?

ScubaPro's Twin Jet fin and Mares Quattros are very different. They have different benefits and constraints. They also work with different fin kicks.

Since you are new to diving, try to find some to try out if you can.

Welcome to diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Twin Jet fins are excellent, and very popular (though you'll find that many folks like to make fun of any split fins). I have a pair and have many buddies who own a pair of them as well and love them--never get a cramp while using them.

The Quattros are one of the staples of diving, and are great for pretty much any style of diving and kicking. Especially so for strong propulsion.

My opinion would be for you to keep and enjoy the TwinJets, and if you get a drysuit buy a set of the Quattros for dry diving (you'll need a larger set of fins to go dry anyway, and will want more power to push the bigger suit through the water).

You will get much advice and many opinions on the topic of fins, but ultimately your comfort and satisfaction is what really matters!

theskull

I actually own a pair of each and end up diving with the Jets 90% of the time. It really depends on preference and the type of diving you are doing. I'm a 80-80 diver (80 degree water, 80 foot visibity). I do most of my diving south of the US and enjoy the comfort of the jets. They are great for the standard flutter kick. Swimming if very effortless and no cramps. I usally pull out the Quattros for the occansional trips to the springs in florida and some wreck dives. But take some laps in the pool and decide what you prefer.

bigwaves:
I am brand new to diving and just purchased a pair of scubapro twin jet fins from my local dive shop. I also bought a Mares X vision mask. I was wondering what the low down is on the fins. The other fins I was looking at were the quattros by Mares I think. Which are better?

Which are better? The ones that work best for you.

Diving gear is a very personal choice, and what might work for some, may not work for others. I personally, love my SP Twin Jets, but that's just one man's opinion.

Try out as many different fins as you can, find the ones that work best for you. Maybe hold back from committing to any of them until you get more dives under your belt. As you become a more experienced diver, your kicking style and finesse will probably change.

Good luck!!

bigwaves:

I would go for the Mares ones. But in the end it wil be the ones you prefer best.

What I don't like about the twin jet fins is that they are no good in current. I work full time as a dive guide and get many american divers through here which have the twin jets and they cannot handle currents with their fins.

One diver actually left his twin jets on the land and borrowed for rental Mares quattros. at the end of his holiday he left his Twin Jets here.

Another thing i don't like about the twin jets is that you cannot maneuver as well as with the mares. You will find after you do some diving that you can maneuver a lot with your fins without actually have to wave your hands. I have tried the twin jets and find them very limited in maneuvring because they are so floppy and unpredictable in how they move from the moment you do another kick than the traditional up/down kick. I could also not figure out how to swim backwards with the twinjets which you can actually do with the Mares.

All this maneuvring and swimming backwards is nice to do when you like to dive slow and take your time to look at stuff or if you are an underwater photographer. But if you just want to do easy diving with not much current I am sure the twin jets are good as well once you get used to them.

Stijn:
I would go for the Mares ones. But in the end it wil be the ones you prefer best.

What I don't like about the twin jet fins is that they are no good in current. I work full time as a dive guide and get many american divers through here which have the twin jets and they cannot handle currents with their fins.

One diver actually left his twin jets on the land and borrowed for rental Mares quattros. at the end of his holiday he left his Twin Jets here.

Another thing i don't like about the twin jets is that you cannot maneuver as well as with the mares. You will find after you do some diving that you can maneuver a lot with your fins without actually have to wave your hands. I have tried the twin jets and find them very limited in maneuvring because they are so floppy and unpredictable in how they move from the moment you do another kick than the traditional up/down kick. I could also not figure out how to swim backwards with the twinjets which you can actually do with the Mares.

All this maneuvring and swimming backwards is nice to do when you like to dive slow and take your time to look at stuff or if you are an underwater photographer. But if you just want to do easy diving with not much current I am sure the twin jets are good as well once you get used to them.

I agree cpmletely but have read others saying the same positives apply to the splits that they love so go figure. Like others said, preference but I suspect you will love what you started with and have gotten used to. Have fun!

Hmmm, I dive rivers a lot and my twin jets don't slow me down in the least. Currents aren't a problem. Weird how stuff like this gets started.

I can tell you this.. For ME I scuba stopped making twin jets i am not sure if i can dive. hehehe I LOVE THEM... they are effortless.....

Stijn:

Another thing i don't like about the twin jets is that you cannot maneuver as well as with the mares.

I have a set of BLACK Twin Jets and don't have either of these problems. I can swim a strong current just fine, and there isnt' a kick that I can't do well. :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom