Twin Jet colors/stiffness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoreliner11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am buying new fins soon. I've tried the bio-fins but they don't quite give me the quick response I want. I'm not the biggest guy in the world (5'9" 140lbs) and I'm not sure whether I want the black or grey (which are second in stiffness...correct?). What are you opinions between the different colors/stiffnesses of the fins. Thanks for your help.
Aaron

I've dove on several twin jet colors, and I've owned the black and grey. Generally speaking the full foot yellow are the softest. Most will say the blue and grey are equal and slightly more stiff than yellow. And the black are the most stiff of all. You can get some power out of the black, but it won't be equivalent to a stiff blade fin, and that's because of the split of course. If you were really lucky about 4 years ago a few folks won some drawings at scuba shows and have the extremely rare white color, which I heard was as stiff as the black. If you are looking for power from the same mfg ... go with the jet fin (not twin jet). This good old fin will in my mind never be outdated. I currently dive a pair myself with springstraps.

Shoreliner11:
I am buying new fins soon. I've tried the bio-fins but they don't quite give me the quick response I want. I'm not the biggest guy in the world (5'9" 140lbs) and I'm not sure whether I want the black or grey (which are second in stiffness...correct?). What are you opinions between the different colors/stiffnesses of the fins. Thanks for your help.
Aaron

As far as the colors go: blue is the softest but requires a different kick than stiffer blade fins, I'm told, -rapid short kicks about a foot wide. Gray are a bit stiffer and black the stiffest of the three. I have the blue fins and had no problems with them, till I had to swim against the current on one dive. I lagged behind everyone else. That might have had a lot to do with the fact that I was using wrong kick, wide and slower, and carrying camera and strobe.

I would ask around to get a consensus on those fins, either color. The blue fins are great and require minimum effort for propulsion but might not be the best against current, or for quick acceleration.

Twin Jet Colors - I have the black....

Here's what ScubaPro says :

Black -Molded from a stiffer compound than other colors. Offers a more traditional feel. Slightly negative buoyancy.
Graphite and Cobalt
-Softer, lighter, more flexible compound to achieve optimal efficiency with minimal effort. Slightly positive buoyancy.
Hi-Viz™Yellow
-Softer compound like graphite and cobalt in extremely vibrant color to afford the greatest visibility underwater. Slightly positive buoyancy.

With the black fins... yes... I don't have any problems compaired to other people... When I need extra power I do the flutter kick... When I'm just chillin' I use the frog kick.

howarde:
With the black fins... yes... I don't have any problems compaired to other people... When I need extra power I do the flutter kick... When I'm just chillin' I use the frog kick.

Thanks for the opinions. I think I'm going to go with black for just this reason. Thanks again.
Aaron

Shoreliner11:
Aaron

Shoreliner11: The Apollo bio-fin XT [Extra Torque] provides a much stiffer feel and works well with all kicks, frog, dolphin, helicopter, wide scissors etc. It has a 75 durometer all natural rubber blade and foot pocket and is negative in both salt and fresh water:
www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_XT.htm has more information.

I have grey and dive them w/ doubles and dry suit. No problems.
I did recently try a pair of Aqua Lung Super Rockets, which are same design as the SP Jets. I thought i was going to have multiple cramps. Buddy who usually has trouble keeping up with me when i used grey twin jets, I had trouble keeping up with when I used the Rockets.
the misconseption w/ the split fins is that you dont feel resistance on your legs and u feel u are not getting any propulsion. But keep your eye on the bottom as it passes beneith you!

DEEPLOU:
I have grey and dive them w/ doubles and dry suit. No problems.
I did recently try a pair of Aqua Lung Super Rockets, which are same design as the SP Jets. I thought i was going to have multiple cramps. Buddy who usually has trouble keeping up with me when i used grey twin jets, I had trouble keeping up with when I used the Rockets.
the misconseption w/ the split fins is that you dont feel resistance on your legs and u feel u are not getting any propulsion. But keep your eye on the bottom as it passes beneith you!

Do you utilize a different kick when using split fins than when you've used single paddle fins?

Back
Top Bottom