Twin Jet colors/stiffness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those stiff ole jet fins don't work on these old legs anymore. I'd be done diving if it weren't for splits :)

When I've been in current with people wearing both splits and tradional non-split fins, the people with splits are leaving the other people behind generally speaking. Also, the non-split fin wearers have a continuous line of bubbles in the water column versus the split fin wearers whose bubble streams look more like smoke signals.

tedj01:
When I've been in current with people wearing both splits and tradional non-split fins, the people with splits are leaving the other people behind generally speaking. Also, the non-split fin wearers have a continuous line of bubbles in the water column versus the split fin wearers whose bubble streams look more like smoke signals.

Which only proves that not all blade fins are created equal. I have owned (at one point I counted) about 20 pairs of fins, many of them given to me. There are so many blade fins out there which would turn anyone off blades forever - how sad, they don't know what they are missing. So they grab splits and the contrast is so great they think they've found their permanent solution and never try anything else, also sad.

tedj01:

Your observations are pretty spot on. Time after time, test after test, the same results. A properly designed split fin, using the right materials, replicates Mother Natures design for most Marine mammals, and fast moving pelagic fish.

mdb:
Your observations are pretty spot on. Time after time, test after test, the same results. A properly designed split fin, using the right materials, replicates Mother Natures design for most Marine mammals, and fast moving pelagic fish.

Whoa! What color is that KoolAid? I recommend adding a whole lot more water. No human will ever swim like, much less have the grace of a marine mammal or a pelagic fish, nor will his two seperate legs with split fins strapped on the end of them even look like one. This is such dogma.

mdb:
Another thought, along the lines of the "old dog and tricks" thing. In my experience, it has been easier to tell and/or train someone new to use split fins than people who originally used paddle fins. Some have been impossible; they already know how - even though using splits is different.

Sorry double post

tedj01:
Another thought, along the lines of the "old dog and tricks" thing. In my experience, it has been easier to tell and/or train someone new to use split fins than people who originally used paddle fins. Some have been impossible; they already know how - even though using splits is different.

Tedjo1: You are right on the money on this one as well. Although the first all rubber version of the bio-fin was designed for max proplusion with the least effort it met a lot of resistance, since older divers, including myself, were used to a wide scissors kick. Since the bio-fins feel as if you are not even wearing fins some folks said "they have no power", "They do not work in current", etc. Same agruments we still hear today. Pete McCarthy of Nature's Wing [tm] encouraged Dean and Doug @ Atomic Aquatics to introduce a stiffer version to help overcome these objections, Scuba-Pro did the same, we also have our XT version which is much stiffer for those who want that feel or who like using a wide and slow kick. The original bio-fin pro is still the most efficent. New divers, with no preconceived prejudice, take to the splits easily.

Allison Finch:
Quote;
QUOTE from Diverbouy:pilot fish, frankly the black splits are still not strong enough against a really decent current. You should make sure you have some substantial non-splits if you are knowingly going into such a circumstance.

I disagree with splits being poor in current. I dive in PNG a lot in some hellatious currents. I often dive with divemasters with huge paddle fins. I easily keep up and often pass them when the current really kicks up. I do, however, use the very stiff SP Twin Speeds.

Quote;
Originally Posted by pilot fish
Do you utilize a different kick when using split fins than when you've used single paddle fins?

Not really. I spent over 35 years in SP Jet fins and mostly use the frog kick. I fin the same way in my splits. The frog is just as good, in my experience, than any other kick.

Wow, that is so contrary to what I'v been hearing about slpit fins lately. I was getting worried that maybe split fins were not the great fins I tought they were - they are defenitely great when not swimming against the current. Sounds like I need to get some "split fin stroke" instructons. Cant imagine why this was not pointed out to me when I bought them?

tedj01:
I had just the opposite experience when swimming against the current in my slpit fins recently. It must be, has to be, that I was not using them properly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom