Twin Jet colors/stiffness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy:
Whoa! What color is that KoolAid? I recommend adding a whole lot more water. No human will ever swim like, much less have the grace of a marine mammal or a pelagic fish, nor will his two seperate legs with split fins strapped on the end of them even look like one. This is such dogma.

I think what mdb means is, it replicates, not exactly, the fin motion of fish.

IF you use the right kick in a strong current, the splits are just as good as they are in no current. Problem is, people get in current and start cranking out big kicks like they have on a pair of blades. Claiming the performance of a fin changes as a result of current is like claiming a prop doesn't work as well when traveling up river. People may prefer blades in current.......I agree with that...... Maybe an engineer here could explain it. Flame away:)

Ragnar:
IF you use the right kick in a strong current, the splits are just as good as they are in no current. Problem is, people get in current and start cranking out big kicks like they have on a pair of blades. Claiming the performance of a fin changes as a result of current is like claiming a prop doesn't work as well when traveling up river. People may prefer blades in current.......I agree with that...... Maybe an engineer here could explain it. Flame away:)

Why flame? You make sense. I'd like to hear from an engineer type on the action of these split fins also. It seems to me that the whip action from the soft, split fin would mirror what fish do but I'm no sure if that's accurate. What is it about current that makes them work differently, if they indeed do? Why they would not work as well in current puzzles me?

pilot fish:
What is it about current that makes them work differently, if they indeed do? Why they would not work as well in current puzzles me?

pilotfish: There really is no puzzle. The proper split fin design develops more thrust with less effort, strong current or no. Larry @ www.scubatoys.com has been quoted several times on the subject: scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/splitcurrent.asp
There is no need to work hard, just have the proper fin and know how to use it. A light smooth flutter kick/swimmers kick, keeping in the slipstream, will give you all the proplusion you need w/o a lot of effort.

so what would you guys recommend for a beginner diver ( with reasonally strong legs) to start off with? a pair of original jet fins or go straight to the splits?

Would go strickly old School Brother....

Orginal Jet Fins Rule!

Happy New Year~Cheers.

mdb:
pilotfish: There really is no puzzle. The proper split fin design develops more thrust with less effort, strong current or no. Larry @ www.scubatoys.com has been quoted several times on the subject: scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/splitcurrent.asp
There is no need to work hard, just have the proper fin and know how to use it. A light smooth flutter kick/swimmers kick, keeping in the slipstream, will give you all the proplusion you need w/o a lot of effort.

Thanks. Read that and thought it made sense. It did seem that Larry was only selling the Tusa and Apollo brands. He said nothing about the ScubaPro Twin jets.

From what I'm reading about splits, it's obvious that the fin stroke I used in current was all wrong, wide,slow stroke as if I were wearing single paddle fins, instead of smaller, rapid strokes. I was kicking out of the body slip stream causing more drag.Will have to try them again in current with a different stroke

kjpwong:
so what would you guys recommend for a beginner diver ( with reasonally strong legs) to start off with? a pair of original jet fins or go straight to the splits?
First and foremost go for fins that fit you well and are very comfortable. Second go for fins that are very comfortable and fit you well. Thrid go for fins fit you well. Fourth go for fins that are very comfortable. Ok hopefully I have made my point. Remember that good fins can last a long time, so initial cost can be misleading if you amortize the cost over say 10 years. Other than that it is whatever you want and/or need.

pilot fish:
I think what mdb means is, it replicates, not exactly, the fin motion of fish.

<wink> no question mdb knows what was meant. Splits are wonderfully comfortable easy going fins. Just make sure the drunken stupor created by the chasm alienating your old pair of military-style lead-molded blade fins doesn't blind you to the idea that blades too have come a long way. And even some older blade fins can't be improved upon. So you might be a diver once subjected to a "bad" set of fins and have sought and found some refuge in a split fin, that's cool! But please don't fail to realize there are other options. I highly recommend trying out something new from time to time. In fact when safe and appropriate, switch fins with a buddy for a couple of dives - just remember fins may have positive and negative buoyancy characteristics and require adjustments in your weighting, additionally when trying something new make sure you've not added it to an already compounded situation - like an unfamiliar site, other new equipment, or environmental conditions you can't handle. Communicate with your buddy your intention to swim around with them a bit on the surface before making a decision to descend.

Back
Top Bottom