Twin Jet colors/stiffness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Do you have any experience on their efficiency against current, type kick, etc?

pilot fish, frankly the black splits are still not strong enough against a really decent current. You should make sure you have some substantial non-splits if you are knowingly going into such a circumstance.

pilot fish:
Do you utilize a different kick when using split fins than when you've used single paddle fins?

Yes it's a shorter more frequent stroke. The problem is this is often not done properly from the hips following through the whole leg. As a result your knees spend a large portion of the time counteracting your swimming effort by jutting down into the hydrostream, creating eddies and fighting against your effort to go forward in any real current. Blade fins like the scubapro jet fins allow for a large variety of useful strokes and kicks which can propel all the while maintaining your hydrodynamic trim and body position. See the www.gue.com website for some decent videos illustrating some of these useful kicks, which are really only possible with blade fins.

DiverBuoy:
pilot fish, frankly the black splits are still not strong enough against a really decent current. You should make sure you have some substantial non-splits if you are knowingly going into such a circumstance.

Yes it's a shorter more frequent stroke. The problem is this is often not done properly from the hips following through the whole leg. As a result your knees spend a large portion of the time counteracting your swimming effort by jutting down into the hydrostream, creating eddies and fighting against your effort to go forward in any real current. Blade fins like the scubapro jet fins allow for a large variety of useful strokes and kicks which can propel all the while maintaining your hydrodynamic trim and body position. See the www.gue.com website for some decent videos illustrating some of these useful kicks, which are really only possible with blade fins.

I considered taking two sets of fins when I travel but that seems like such fuss -I have an older pair of single blade ScubaPro fins. You just never know if you are going against the current for a long time on a dive?

Hope I understood your fin stroke advice? Do you kick with a locked knee, or bend the knee? I got similar advice from ScubaPro about rapid short kicks, a foot wide

Thanks

pilot fish:
I considered taking two sets of fins when I travel but that seems like such fuss -I have an older pair of single blade ScubaPro fins. You just never know if you are going against the current for a long time on a dive?

Hope I understood your fin stroke advice? Do you kick with a locked knee, or bend the knee? I got similar advice from ScubaPro about rapid short kicks, a foot wide

Thanks

Do NOT lock your knees, do maintain proper trim horizontally with your fins behind your body and tank so they do not interfere with the water gliding past your body.

DiverBuoy:
Do NOT lock your knees, do maintain proper trim horizontally with your fins behind your body and tank so they do not interfere with the water gliding past your body.

Thanks. I can see that I was finning incorrectly with my splits -using single paddle fin stroke with split fins and not getting the benefit of the whip action of the splits. I was also taking wider, slower strokes. :(

Slow will still work with the twin jets you just can't be doing huge kicks or bending the knee a lot. If you do small kicks the knees won't bend much to begin with.

Quote;
QUOTE from Diverbouy:pilot fish, frankly the black splits are still not strong enough against a really decent current. You should make sure you have some substantial non-splits if you are knowingly going into such a circumstance.

I disagree with splits being poor in current. I dive in PNG a lot in some hellatious currents. I often dive with divemasters with huge paddle fins. I easily keep up and often pass them when the current really kicks up. I do, however, use the very stiff SP Twin Speeds.

Quote;
Originally Posted by pilot fish
Do you utilize a different kick when using split fins than when you've used single paddle fins?

Not really. I spent over 35 years in SP Jet fins and mostly use the frog kick. I fin the same way in my splits. The frog is just as good, in my experience, than any other kick.

I agree, I use the frog kick more than any other unless I'm trying to get up a little current.

Allison Finch:
Quote;
QUOTE from Diverbouy:pilot fish, frankly the black splits are still not strong enough against a really decent current. You should make sure you have some substantial non-splits if you are knowingly going into such a circumstance.

I disagree with splits being poor in current. I dive in PNG a lot in some hellatious currents. I often dive with divemasters with huge paddle fins. I easily keep up and often pass them when the current really kicks up. I do, however, use the very stiff SP Twin Speeds.

Quote;
Originally Posted by pilot fish

Not really. I spent over 35 years in SP Jet fins and mostly use the frog kick. I fin the same way in my splits. The frog is just as good, in my experience, than any other kick.

I own them, and I've dived with them (posted many times), all I can offer is you must not have been diving in the currents I was in. I didn't tell PilotFish to toss them, I recommended the she have a bag of tricks for more than one type of diving. If you work "really hard" you can manage with splits in "heavy" current. Or you can just become proficient with jet fins (blade) or turtles, and dive anything, anywhere in the world.

Back
Top Bottom