Tusa IQ 400 Battery Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a Tusa IQ-400 that needs a battery. Tusa has sealed 2 of the 4 screws with some red junk (I'm assuming to discourage tinkering). I've seen a number of sites that sell replacement batteries for the IQ-400. I'd prefer to do it myself if it's not that difficult. Has anyone replaced their own battery? If so, are there any instructions on how to do it?

Or is it better to let a dealer do it?

It's simple; get the battery at Radio Shack.
Be careful when you remove the cover to the battery compartment, you may have to use a small screwdriver to pry it loose.
You should be able to reuse the o-ring if you don't nick it opening the battery compartment.
Don't over tighten the screws when you are done.

Also... Make sure you need it before you do it. I've seen a lot of guys change their batteries when it was not necessary because they didn't realize how the battery indicator actually worked. After the unit is off.. you turn it on. In a few seconds you will see what looks like an empty battery in the lower right hand corner... that icon is not how much battery you have left... it's just the icon.

The actual indication is how many bars are lit across the bottom when the (very bad) icon is on.

Here's a drawing that will explain... if it looks like the top ones, you're fine. If it looks like the bottom ones.. then change it:

iqbattery.jpg

We have some we've used as rental for more than 5 years without having to change a battery.

Just make sure... and be very careful to get the o-ring back in properly if you do have to swap it out.

It's simple; get the battery at Radio Shack.
Be careful when you remove the cover to the battery compartment, you may have to use a small screwdriver to pry it loose.
You should be able to reuse the o-ring if you don't nick it opening the battery compartment.
Don't over tighten the screws when you are done.

Hello its unlikely you can get this at Radioshack. They do not sell the Varta, a german brand of battery. They are somewhat hard to find, unless you go to speciality shop. You can get the whole kit here too.

Any 1/2 AA 3V will do. It does not have to be Varta. As per the Oring is a B-023.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom