Turtle give diver notice to keep hands to himself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

should have bit his nose

Good for the turtle!

Cowabunga !

:D

P

TMNT.jpg

Was diving Lighthouse Reef down there as the marine biologist on a Lindblad Expeditions eco-cruise ship. We had briefed the divers, repeatedly telling them not to touch the wildlife and specifically mentioning turtles. As I was filming a hawksbill swimming toward me, one of the divers reached out her hand, touched it and caused it to quickly change course away from us. I wish it had been this turtle that she did it to!

A long time ago, I thought it was cool to ride big loggerheads. As a kid I always caught turtles in the woods, so I knew where to hold the turtle so he couldn't bite me.. but what I didn't know was the turtle was strong enough and smart enough to flip me over on my back and repeatedly smash the back of my head into the coral, all the while I could NOT release him because he was also trying to spin around and bite me. If you have ever seen a turtle bite a conch, you know that you do not want a bite.

I don't bother no turtles no mo.

I was snorkeling in Cozumel a few years ago (a case of swimmer's ear prevented me from diving), when the snorkel leader grabbed a small turtle and brought it up to the surface and held it out of the water for the other snorkelers' "enjoyment." They all gathered around and were petting it like it was a dog. The turtle was obviously stressed and was flapping his flippers like crazy.

It kind of made me sick, so I just turned away.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom