Turquoise Lake Aug 25th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to let you know, Turquoise lake has first come first serve camping spots at several camping grounds. For a motorhome, the paved lot to the left of the matchless boat ramp is one of these. 15 dollars a night.

To muddy the waters even more, here's another place we could dive... Wellington Lake south of Bailey. Maybe another weekend? I don't really care too much where we dive.

I'm not going to get to Turquoise Lake in Aug, or over Labor day. I've been gone too many weekends, Labor day is going to be crowded, traffic will be a mess, and my outside house projects are waiting. I'll likely plan on something later in Sept.

Someone needs to take the reins, and plan the trip. The way I go about this is to find someone to dive with, set a date, and just post the trip date, place, and time. If others can make it cool, if not no worries.

The board is a GREAT way to plan dives, but I've found that a democracy does not work well as people will discuss dates, places, and options without making firm plans right up to the point the scheduled date has passed! :D

Tmurry, and Waterskier the 25th sounds like the an option for you guys, so why not PM, make a plan, and then post. Others may join, or not.

I'm going to talk to one Fish in particular, and see what her schedule is like, and than I'll post a trip date in Sept.

If you go, make sure to post conditions!

Rocky Mountain Dive center does a Labor Day dive weekend at Turquoise Lake (303 232-2400). Last year I think the cost was $75, so a bit steep for camping and a tank of air, but they have prizes, a meal or two, and organized dives. That maybe one way to get a campsite as it sounds like the park will be full.

The park also has a lot of the non-reserved sites, fist come, first serve. These tend to be tent sites, but I'm betting if you get there before 6:00pm on Friday Labor day weekend, you'd have a good chance at one. Much after than, and on a prime weekend my experience is that the sites go fast.

Ron,

Thanks for the guidance. I am sure you are right. Unfortunately, I'm a fairly new diver, especially to anything but high visibility Caribbean waters. I've never been to Turquoise Lake, so don't know anything about the area, or the dive sites. I've looked online, and can't find anything about diving there, other than some have done it. So, I'm not really comfortable trying to organize a trip to a place I've never been, diving in a Lake I've never been to, as a newer diver.

I guess I was hoping that I could tag along with other, more experienced divers. That doesn't look like it's going to happen though, so maybe I'll just go waterskiing instead. Now that I do have experience doing, and some familiarity with some of the local lakes.

Waterskier1:
Ron,

Thanks for the guidance. I am sure you are right. Unfortunately, I'm a fairly new diver, especially to anything but high visibility Caribbean waters. I've never been to Turquoise Lake, so don't know anything about the area, or the dive sites. I've looked online, and can't find anything about diving there, other than some have done it. So, I'm not really comfortable trying to organize a trip to a place I've never been, diving in a Lake I've never been to, as a newer diver.

I guess I was hoping that I could tag along with other, more experienced divers. That doesn't look like it's going to happen though, so maybe I'll just go waterskiing instead. Now that I do have experience doing, and some familiarity with some of the local lakes.

Understood. I've only been there once myself.

As I said, I will try and put something together in Sept, but just not Labor day weekend.

I wouldn't mind going back to Blue Hole. I haven't been there since my AOW training last Nov. I'm going to Cozumel the end of Oct. I heard talk of the third weekend?

Waterskier1:
I wouldn't mind going back to Blue Hole. I haven't been there since my AOW training last Nov. I'm going to Cozumel the end of Oct. I heard talk of the third weekend?

I'll be there with A1 the weekend of September 14-16th (I guess that is the 3rd weekend). I'll start a separate thread for a roll call for those that want to join in. I'm doing m dry suit and deep specialties.

I believe that Pipefish will be around that weekend as well.

Back
Top Bottom