Turquoise Lake Aug 25th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just curious, what is your dive plan for this? Do you include deco gas because of the altitude? Or go to straight O2 after the dive? I've never dived high altitude (above Chatfield) and am wondering if gas planning plays a major roll into a dive like this.

Sounds like a fun dive, but after just recently getting back into scuba, I'm curious how you lay out the dive plan doing high altitude diving.

Kbear:
I'm just curious, what is your dive plan for this? Do you include deco gas because of the altitude? Or go to straight O2 after the dive? I've never dived high altitude (above Chatfield) and am wondering if gas planning plays a major roll into a dive like this.

Sounds like a fun dive, but after just recently getting back into scuba, I'm curious how you lay out the dive plan doing high altitude diving.

The lake is below 10000 Ft. so you use the alitude adjustment tables. No gas planning needed.

Guys,

If I leave early Saturday morning I can spend the day and dive. Will that work?

Dan

RonFrank:
If we go, and leave on Sunday, then we should not have to deal with too much traffic. Leaving on Monday would be a very bad idea, and going up Friday night will also involve heavy traffic. :D
Ron, I'm confused by your statement that Monday would be very bad. Which weekend are you talking about, 25-26 Aug, or 1-2 (3) Sep (Labor Day). There are no campsites available for Labor Day weekend.

I guess we all should decided on a date, and then a place first. If it is Turqoise Lake, I think I'll probably "camp" in my motorhome - if there are campsites available. I would probably go up Fri afternoon. Hopefully, I will miss much of the traffic leaving Colo Spgs that evening. If they are not within easy waking distance to the dive site, it may be inconvient to drive the motorhome around the lake. If others want to stay in the motorhome, I have some extra room.

I checked and there are some motels in Leadville also. If I go that route, I'll need to coordinate a sitter for my puppy. Any of this is doable, just need to know what the preferences are. I guess if we dive 2 days, I'll have to rent some tanks too, since I only have 2, and that's 2 dives at my air consumption.

Waterskier1:
... I guess if we dive 2 days, I'll have to rent some tanks too, since I only have 2, and that's 2 dives at my air consumption.

There's a dive shop in Leadville (south side of town), and I hear you can get refills for around $3.50.

Waterskier1:
Ron, I'm confused by your statement that Monday would be very bad. Which weekend are you talking about, 25-26 Aug, or 1-2 (3) Sep (Labor Day). There are no campsites available for Labor Day weekend.

I'm talking about Labor Day. I don't think I can do the weekend of the 25th.

What is EVERYONE else talking about? :D

tmurray:
There's a dive shop in Leadville (south side of town), and I hear you can get refills for around $3.50.
I Googled that and found Bills Sport Shop at 225 Harrison Ave. in Leadville, but their website only addresses winter ski equipment and ski lift tickets. I'll try calling later today and see if they do have air refills, tanks, and when they are open.

RonFrank:
I'm talking about Labor Day. I don't think I can do the weekend of the 25th.

What is EVERYONE else talking about? :D
I was talking about Aug 25 (the thread subject :wink:). Also, I posted that there are no campsites available for Labor Day - they are all reserved.

What dates are the rest of you considering? :popcorn:

Waterskier1:
I was talking about Aug 25 (the thread subject :wink:). Also, I posted that there are no campsites available for Labor Day - they are all reserved.

Posts #2, #3, and #4 indicated that people could not do Aug 25th and suggested Labor day. I then assumed that is what was being discussed.

Camping maybe full, but most here don't need to camp to dive Turquoise. There are other camping options near Leadville if Turquoise camping is full. For the cost of gas running your RV to Leadville, you could likely get a room, but I understand that you may want to camp.

I have Rockies Tickets the 26th, and plans Sat night, so diving that weekend is out for me.

Waterskier1:
I

I was talking about the 25th.

RonFrank:
Posts #2, #3, and #4 indicated that people could not do Aug 25th and suggested Labor day. I then assumed that is what was being discussed.
This post got confusing to me, that's why I started this thread. Post #2 seems to be cancelled by post #6, post #3 is an option by the OP to his post #1, and post #4 is you :wink:.

RonFrank:
Camping maybe full, but most here don't need to camp to dive Turquoise. There are other camping options near Leadville if Turquoise camping is full. For the cost of gas running your RV to Leadville, you could likely get a room, but I understand that you may want to camp.
This is the type of info I was looking for: If we were to do a Labor Day trip, what are the other campground choices where there are available sites somewhat close to the lake. I was considering camping since I do enjoy it, (if you want to call staying in a motorhome camping :eyebrow:) even though I suspect that a campsite would cost about the same as a share room; and yes, I'd spend 5 times as much on gas :11:. But it also allows me to take my puppy, and not have to find a place to put her, if I spend the night. I could try keeping her in her kennel in my car, but the motorhome would be much nicer. Again, I was seeking options, and preferences from everyone. :D

I can probably do either weekend at this point, but need to know which soon, especially if I need to make arrangements for a puppy-sitter.

I just called Bill's Sport Shop in Leadville, and they rent tanks for $5, and fills are only $3.50. They are open Mon-Sat, 9:00 - 5:30, closed Sunday. He even said that if I didn't have an easy way to get the motorhome back to get fills, he'd bring tanks out to us! Seems like a really nice guy :D.

He did ask how many were coming, I think to ensure he'd have enough tanks, and I said I thought most had their own tanks. I can revise that, if others need tanks. The first order is to find out who might be going, and when?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom