Trip Report Turquoise Bay Resort, Subway Water Sports, Bent in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part 3- Complaints

We like TBR and will return. After 2 trips there we have learned to stay on the resort. Usually a staff member will say "My cousin/sister/uncle/ etc has a Boat/Bar/Restaurant/ etc." Every time it has turned into a clustermess.

in 17 or 18, 4 of our group went on a fishing trip expecting a large nice boat with a head and normal amenities for $400. They jammed 4 large people plus a driver into a sub compact vehicle and drove across the island where a 4 foot wide panga with a leaking gas tank awaited. The boat ride was so rough that 2 had kidney issues, caught one small barracuda, and survived the ordeal.

I went to a staff members relatives restaurant for an authentic Honduran meal and the cab ride was $80 for 4 of us. They had set us up a table at the end of a pier and was an amazing location, but the menu had no prices and we didnt ask....but the meal cost for 4 of us was over $300 if I remember right. Fish soup, mashed plantains, a half a lobster tail, and some shrimp.

My wife went on a mangrove tour of a trashy smelly mangrove and everytime they moved the outboard motor operator would tell them not to or they would turn over. Boat was in poor shape. (thats probably a compliment)

This trip, the non-diving spouses were offered a tiki-bar boat tour. I believe they went in a Turquoise Bay Resort van to a home made pontoon boat with plastic oil type drums lashed to the bottom of a platform, it had about 6 inches of freeboard and with all of them on there, they were a wave away from bad things happening. Since it was a tiki-bar boat....they asked for drinks and were told they had none...they were supposed to bring their own. That's a valuable piece of information to know beforehand. They came back in a staff members cousins car with no brakes. I believe they were refunded half of their money for that trip.

We do love Turquoise Bay Resort, and the staff, but every time they have left the resort, it has been overpriced and less than any expectation of what was portrayed to be.

CRUISE CHIP DAY PASS- The rumor that TBR sell beach passes to cruisers is true. They set up a portion of the beach for cruisers. The music is loud but other than busses arriving and unloading, I never saw any cruisers at the resort. They stay at the beach area and are not allowed up to the resort pool or bar. Most cruisers were gone by the time we came back from diving. We did not have any issues with our service while the cruisers were there.

The Wedding- TBR rented out their beach are for a wedding. it did not effect us other than the music from the reception was loud until about 10:30 and it was capped off with a short fireworks show at about 10:30-10:45. I had managed to fall asleep and woke up at the first boom..... screaming like a little girl, trying to establish a fortified perimeter and supply ammo, set up a flanking counter attack, and call in a fire mission all at the same time ... all while filling my PJ's with mashed plantains. I laughed about it when I was able to let go of the ceiling and clean out my shorts. In their defense....we were warned.....

The shopping trips to West End have been fine and we had lunch as a surface interval at Mayan Princess Resort (same owner) and it was fine. They did charge us for our drinks that should have been included in our drink package.

I was hesitant to post the complaints, and staying on the resort will solve most of them, because it is a wonderful resort with nice facilities, good food, and a truly exceptional staff. The owners are local and are doing everything they can to recover from being shut down for a year. The locals are too.

Its a wonderful value, often with 2 for one specials, and I'm sure we will return,

Again, safe travels... Fire for Effect!!!
Jay

Thanks for the trip report. I’m guessing the boat in your photo was the one you were on. What was the max number of divers you had on any trip in that boat?

We arrive at Turquoise Bay on 9/25. We’re in room 10. I’m hoping that’s not too far of a walk to the dive shop. It’s hard to tell on the resort map, but it has to be better than the hillside rooms and those stairs I’ve read about.

We’ve always been on the south side of the island. Looking forward to seeing the difference in diving on the north side.

Thanks for the trip report. I’m guessing the boat in your photo was the one you were on. What was the max number of divers you had on any trip in that boat?

We arrive at Turquoise Bay on 9/25. We’re in room 10. I’m hoping that’s not too far of a walk to the dive shop. It’s hard to tell on the resort map, but it has to be better than the hillside rooms and those stairs I’ve read about.

We’ve always been on the south side of the island. Looking forward to seeing the difference in diving on the north side.

I think we had 16 divers total, so we had two boats all the time. 5-10 divers per boat usually. Everyone was assigned a boat and that never changed even when there were only three or four divers per boat. We seldom had anyone not in our group on the boats except for a German woman that was traveling by herself so we adopted her into our group. Were Oklahomans and have never met a stranger.....

Its a small resort, so nothing is far away. It looks like 10 is on the opposite side of the resort from the dive shop, but with minimal, if any, stairs. We had the hillside room in 2017 or 2018 with 42 short steps to climb....that got old. This time we were in 4 which is the lower level of rooms. I'd say your less than a 2-4 minute walk at the most.

safe travels,
Jay

No DAN O2 kit on the boat?

:eek: :shakehead:

No DAN O2 kit on the boat?

:eek: :shakehead:
Symptoms presented after we were back at the resort. I’m sure they had O2 on the boats, but never had the need to see it. One of the best things about TBR is the short boat rides to the dive sites. Many within 5-10 minutes.

Once you get back to the dock, you have a dove locker to put your fins, boots, and mask in. They rinse your bcd and regs and hang them up for you. Literally, you can be off the boat and at the beach in 5 minutes.

She didn’t tell me anything until we were at the beach area.

Jay

Global Entry and the Passport App are not used in Atlanta. Everyone uses the same line.

That is new, the last time I went through ATL, with Delta Dec 2020, they had a specific area for Global Entry.

That better be temporary, I don't pay for GE to stand in line.

Both of my sets of skin bends with pain and marbled skin didn't set in for about 2 hours, so oxygen on the day boat wouldn't have done anything for me either.

Interesting to know if it helped afterwards?

Both of my sets of skin bends with pain and marbled skin didn't set in for about 2 hours, so oxygen on the day boat wouldn't have done anything for me either.

Interesting to know if it helped afterwards?

The marbling did not begin to fade for almost 24 hours but the bruising under her breasts faded much sooner. It took about 3 days for the marbling on her stomach to go away. The shoulder pain and cough were helped after about 20 minutes on demand valve O2 and almost gone after an hour on high flow.

She is still very sore in her chest and back after a week so we are trying to get in to see someone about that.

Jay

Glad your wife is doing well!

Any idea why she got bent?

Any modifications to her dive profile in the future?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom