Turnaround time for annual servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMScuba

New
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the average turn around time should be for my annual service when taking it to a LDS. I take 2 bcds with air2's and 2 regulators for annual service.

The actual work should take a few hours.

Depending on the dive shop and whether you take it to them at a busy time, it would not be unusual for them to keep them for a couple of weeks. Some dive shops have employees who perform service, and others have a contractor who comes in a day or two a week, which drags things out.

As posted above actual time to perform the actual service is not usually the issue, it's the shop finding the time to do it and that I'd imagine varies greatly. I guess asking in advance would be prudent if time sensitive.

Actual time, an hour or so, total time up to several weeks. Besides full service shops and those with part time repair techs, some shops do not actually service the regs but rather send them off to a wholesale service shop. Transit time alone can be a week or more plus whatever time the repair facility takes and any lag time at the shop......they may only ship once a week or wait until they have several regs to ship at once. Also, some small shops may service them but do not stock parts which means it may take a week or more just to get the parts in. Ask your shop how they service regs and what the normal turn around time is.....and be prepared to wait several weeks no matter what the answer is.

Our LDS can only train two new people per summer to service regs, there are many different types, and good service requires lots of education and practice to be reliably safe. limited trained personnel repairing during limited hours is going to stretch out times.

Check your LDS for who does the work and the turnaround time, then look into mailing to a service center, it may be faster than your LDS, especially if they send it to a service center.

And you might wonder why so many rely on DIY, since a lot of times it's just a check and possible adjust, rather than a rebuild.

Bob

Check your LDS for who does the work and the turnaround time, then look into mailing to a service center, it may be faster than your LDS, especially if they send it to a service center.

And you might wonder why so many rely on DIY, since a lot of times it's just a check and possible adjust, rather than a rebuild.

Bob

Yes, the beauty of DIY is you do it when it needs it and not a second before.

Back
Top Bottom