Turn off my Wisdom 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ME. I'd know.

Well, of course!

I'm not advocating dishonesty.

I agree that there are times when it would be nice to have the option to turn the thing off - even during the 24 hour countdown to fly.

I'm just saying that if I found myself in a situation where my computer was ON when I boarded the plane (say, because TSA made me turn it on or maybe because there was still 15 minutes left on the to-fly countdown), then I'd have no other choice but to leave it on. In that case, it would just remain in my bag where it usually stays anyway. Since it presents no realistic harm to the plane or anyone else on board, I'd just let the clock run its course and shut itself off. I wouldn't feel a need to point it out to a flight attendant who probably wouldn't understand anyway.

oh I know you weren't but I simply don't get it...who sells a computer that can't be turned off? It's bizarre if you ask me. But I guess you didn't ask me :D ....thanks for the feedback!!

rf - I don't sherwood cares about us. I just spent way too much $ on new gear from them and they won't even respond to an email (after 3 tries over 4 weeks).
anyhow this was about the computer and I now know the answer. thanks all.

Dear whodunit,

I have been monitoring this thread since the beginning. I can chime. I am not aware of any dive computer that has an on/off switch, Sherwood included. All these computers turn off at a specific time once dove, typically 24 hours after the last dive. This is a safety mechanism to let you know when it is safe to fly.

You also mention in here that you have been emailing Sherwood with no reply. Who were you emailing? I want to make sure we are following up on all emails.

Thank you,
Sherwood Scuba rep.

dear sherwood scuba rep,
I appreciate you following and chiming in. I'm new at this so didn't have much familiarity but I am not new to computers (probably longer than many of you have been alive...oy vey I'm getting old). I appreciate the time-to-fly feature but the not-turning-off feature is simply weird.
I appreciate your response to the email question as well even though I complained in the wrong forum. I have contacted Sherwood THREE times now via the web site about a very simple issue (a printer product manual that I inadvertently dove with). It's *incredibly* frustrating to go for 3 weeks with ZERO reply after 3 tries. thanks again.
Steve

I remember when the first dive computers came out, and the old Orcas had a switch at the back and you just flipped them off when you were done (had to pull them out of the rubber shell to do it so you could never do it by accident).

Now? My Sherwood Profile keeps monitoring microscopic amounts of Nitrogen in my blood until 4 in the morning just in case I accidentally go diving and didn't realise it. And I have to replace my battery every 50 dives or so. And it really ticks me off.

Dear Rhone Man,

You are right there was a switch on the Orca, about 15 years ago.

As for your ProFile, is there a problem with your computer? It was difficult to tell whether there is a problem or you just don't like the way is keeps you safe and uses too much battery by being on....

Dear Rhone Man,

You are right there was a switch on the Orca, about 15 years ago.

As for your ProFile, is there a problem with your computer? It was difficult to tell whether there is a problem or you just don't like the way is keeps you safe and uses too much battery by being on....

No - I have no complaints about the machine - very fond of it. I just wish there was a way to stop it chewing through batteries for no good effect. I think we all know when we are done diving for the day (and if we are not proposing to fly), so it frustrates me that no one makes computers any more that you can manually power down and save the juice.

I'm completely and 100% in accord with you Rhone Man. That's exactly what I was referring to. It makes no sense not to have an on/off switch.

I want to share with everyone that I had a couple of issues and want to thank Sherwood Scuba rep person for being extremely responsive and helpful in resolving the issues. They were small, non-equipment related issues and good customer service makes all the difference in this game. I know for certain that if I had an equipment issue (ok well I have a bag torn issue that they are resolving for me), that I would be treated well and Sherwood Scuba would work to resolve. For that, I thank you, SSR.

I wondered when I first got it about not being able to turn off my computer ..
But now I think I'd rather not have an off switch on something that's keeping track of my depth and N2 and O2 loading .. how many carry a backup on dives?

I figure by the team I have left the dive boat, gone home, washed down my gear, and am settling in to watch the college football, I can afford to turn off my computer and stop keeping track of my tissue loading and O2 clock. I trust myself enough to know when I am done diving for the day.

The bigger and more acute risk is when I get to the dive boat one Saturday morning and the fricking thing is telling me not to dive because of a low battery caused by burning 24 hours of run time each Saturday night / Sunday morning keeping track of information that has no practical value.

I am pretty clear in my own mind which way the risk pendulum swings on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom