Turn off my Wisdom 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

an off switch can be activated for many reasons .. not many of which I want to happen, especially while I'm under water .. I turn on my computer before I leave to go diving .. I know if the battery is low or not before I leave

Also, Oceanic says that if battery indication was OK before the dive, it will have enough battery power to do the dive without shutting down (I dont know about the Wisdom)

We can agree to disagree - I guess not everyone feels the same. But the old Orcas, you had to pull it out of its rubber boot, and flip across a massive switch that was about one third of the length of the device on the back. The ability to do this underwater by accident (or even on the surface without concentrated effort and dry hands to get a good grip on the boot) was zero. If someone told me that there was a recorded incident of an Orca being turned off underwater by accident, we would have a nominee for a Darwin award.

I fully take on board your point about checking your battery before heading out.

But it still really irks me that I cannot turn my computer off - it says to me "we assume that you are a total and utter idiot, and cannot be trusted to know when you are done diving and/or if an emergency situation arose and you absolutely had to get back in the water, you are incapable of using a set of tables or otherwise diving without our precious computer".

To me it just feels like leaving your car running in the garage after you come home for the evening. Except that it is more hassle to change a battery than to refuel your car.

there is also the possibility that the off switch doesn't have to be mechanical. I can go through a series of navigation menus to find the "turn computer off" and even have an "are you sure" ala Microsoft just to be 100% sure. Yeah, people will complain about anything but I'd rather have the option and I have, I believe, a similar risk pendulum to RM. I'm quite safety conscious (been there as a private pilot as well) and recognize the value of safety. however, I 'm not convinced that this computer isn't saving my life burning batteries while I'm sleeping or flying 24 hours later.

Back
Top Bottom