Turks and Caicos ... what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok, i just booked a trip on the agressor to go to Turks and Caicos the last week o December. What can I expect? Are the dives deep? Is there a lot of current? I understand there are big fishes, and little fishes so that sounds good. Is this advanced diving or like a pool?

My first ocean dives were off Provo in November 2006. It was all wall dives. The top of the walls were in about 60 feet. A lot of the dives pushed 100'. The reefs were pristine. Huge barrels and swarms of fish. Back then, I did not know how to identify anything and didn't have a camera. Definitely dove too deep for my experience. My first dive I blew through my tank in 25 minutes. No idea what the live aboard is like; I suspect they hit Grand Turk too which has some typical reefs I believe. I would like to go back now that I have about 70 dives in. I had great dives since, but never had that type of visibility or impressive walls.

walls can get you into trouble if you don't pay attention. i've done dive up to 120 ft., but there was a "bottom". how about current?

Hi matt215,

The liveaboards dive NW Provo, West Caicos, and French Cay, same sites the day boats visit. Of course, you get 4 or 5 dives a day rather than 2 or 3.

My son and I spent a week on Provo in July and dived with an excellent operator, Caicos Adventures. We did 13 dives off West Caicos, did not make it to French Cay due to conditions. We saw one or more of the liveaboards most days.

The walls are generally quite deep, dive depth is your choice. Our average max depth was 99 feet (79-140 feet) with more dives less than 100 feet than over. Our mean average depth was 56 feet with an average total dive time of 64 minutes. We had warm water temps of 84-85 degrees F, I would imagine it will be a bit cooler in December. Visibility was not at its best during our visit but was quite good at around 70-80 feet, a bit better on a few occassions. There was very modest current on a couple dives, generally none. The diving was quite leisurely and relaxing with no unexpected challenges. We dived independently, most on the boat chose to go with 1 of the couple DMs in the water. I don't know how the Aggressor works, you probably have the same choices.

The reefs were very healthy and there was abundant sea life. For us, the sharks were a real treat and we saw several to many on most dives. This video is from the cut in the wall near the mooring at Boat Cove YouTube - Old Shark and Big Shark

We had a fantastic time diving in T&C, I bet you will too. I'd love to get back there again.

Good diving, Craig

I believe we might be going on the same trip. We have 8 people scheduled for a liveaboard in T&C from 12/26-1/2. I'm pretty sure it is one of the Aggressors. My buddy was there three years ago and has been trying to get us to go back ever since. Since then we have done Little Cayman (LCBR) and Kitts/Statia/Saba/Maartens (CEXII), but he still says that T&C will top them. I have seen his pix and video and I have no reason to doubt him.

I'm going to check out our arrangements and I'll post again later if it turns out we're on the same boat. In either case, enjoy the diving and Happy New Year!

I see on your profile that you've dove Cocos Island. In that case the Turks will be quite easy in comparison. Some of the best diving I've done so far though, bery enjoyable.

Very good diving with some good size reef sharks and Eagle Rays! Have a good trip. I wish I was going with you! :)

It is Nitrox type diving! Most reefs start at 50ft plus. Great viz and little current! You can see a video and a lot of pictures here:Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services I think it is great diving on Nitrox, and pushing it on air. Lots of fish of all size and hopefully the Nassau Grouper is still at Spanish Anchor! Have a great time!

I checked our itineraray and we are booked on one of the Caribbean Explorers. Again, enjoy your trip and Happy New Year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom