Turks and Caicos conditions THIS weekend (9/3-9/8)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajeep94yj

Contributor
Reaction score
any one want to take bets on how the conditions will be at TCI this weekend. we are going down there for the first time. weather.com shows atleast 30% change of isolated thunderstorms each day.

mostly I am concernded how the hurricane affected the dive conditions. anyone got a guess?

I was diving there last week - got back on Sat. We had 4 or so overcast days and some rain days but the diving was still very good. The hurricane is well past now - I'm not sure what the forecast looks like. It was great vacation weather last week but I was on a liveaboard and didn't care too much.

<< weather.com shows atleast 30% change of isolated thunderstorms each day. >>

At this time of year, the daily forecast throughout the Caribbean is usually for "isolated showers." It doesn't mean much - certainly not what it means up North. Typically, you get a fine, sunny day until about 3 PM or so and then a tropical rainstorm for 20 to 40 minutes, after which it clears up again. On Grand Cayman, our forecast has been "isolated showers" on a more or less daily basis for some time, but the diving has been great! Have a good trip!

gajeep94yj:
any one want to take bets on how the conditions will be at TCI this weekend. we are going down there for the first time. weather.com shows atleast 30% change of isolated thunderstorms each day.

mostly I am concernded how the hurricane affected the dive conditions. anyone got a guess?

Katrina wasn't Katrina when she went through there - not even a Tropical Depression, only an organized low pressure system (remnants of TD10 reforming into TD12 and thence to become Katrina later). Was there August 18-27, vis was consistently in the 60' range, a few days of gray conditions, but nothing bad at all. Don't worry about the thunderboomers. As others have said, I don't think they change the forecast at all this time of year unless there's a tropical storm in the region :wink:

Have a wonderful time - I did!

I'll second that. Stop watching weather.com. Isolated showers in the TCI means ten minutes of rain once or twice a day. Refreshing but not bothersome. Have fun!

Perfect! that's what I wanted to hear!!!

now my only fear is that the air line won't fly there b/c they are out of fuel :) JK I heard on the news last night that some people were speculating that they were going to shut down the air port in Atlanta (the busiest air port in the world) b/c of low fuel...what a load of crock.

any way I will give an update when I get back! I can't wait!!!

Will be in Provo with my spouse for the week of 9/3/ to 9/10 and diving with Fifi. Staying at the Sands. Weather looks fairly good. Hope to see you . John

cool! we will be at the beaches resort and going to try the included dive operator. I know they aren't going to be nearly as good as local dive shops like dive provo but we are going to give them a try.

this will be an experiment vacation for us. we usually get a cheaper hotel that includes nothing, then find the best local dive operator with the best reputation (mainly on this board!). but after looking at what it costs we are spending about the same for jsut a hotel and the dive as we would for one of these all super inclusive places that include the diving. then we had to buy food. so this trip we paid a little more and going to try a beaches resort.

I just hope the dive operator is good. I have gotten spoiled by the local operators that really strive to make your money. the resort operator is going to get paid whether they do a good job or not,,,,,and that kind of scares me!

oh yea I just picked up an underwater housing and a new 4.0M camera this morning too! so I will be able to document my fun!

Color me green.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom