Turk & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traciedee

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone gone to T&C lately? Any advice on who to go diving with and what the dives are like? We go in October and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Welcome to Scubaboard! You might try a search to see whats out there on the TCI. My personal favorite dive op is Caicos Adventures. All the dives are pretty much wall dives. Little or no current. Vis varies from 50 feet to 100+. Diving has been hit or miss lately. I have been on trips where I have seen dolphins, a whale, sharks and eagle rays all the same day. Other trips I have seen very little in the way of big stuff. The diving is always good and somtimes other-worldly. October weather may be a little chancey. Good luck!

I'm visiting T&C for the first time in July, diving w/Caicos Adventures. I'll be sure and post a report. Can't wait!

We are staying in Provo and from this board I think I have decided to dive with Caicos Adventures. We are recreational divers and I am not looking for deep or challenging dives. My hubby also has an issue with his ears sometimes, so we like to dive in the 60-70 feet range. Does anyone know if any of the dives goes to Mudgin Harbor on Middle Caicos? Heard that is beautiful.

My wife and I were there for our honeymoon in November. It was beautiful and the diving (with Caicos Adventures) was excellent.
FYI, all of the walls begin at between 45 and 60 ft. We spent the majority of our time exploring the walls at between 85 and 90 ft. To us, it felt the same as 30ft.

traciedee:
We are staying in Provo and from this board I think I have decided to dive with Caicos Adventures. We are recreational divers and I am not looking for deep or challenging dives. My hubby also has an issue with his ears sometimes, so we like to dive in the 60-70 feet range. Does anyone know if any of the dives goes to Mudgin Harbor on Middle Caicos? Heard that is beautiful.

I was there in March, and dove with Caicos Adventures. They only had the Catamaran available when I was there, and it sometimes got a little rocky (especially when it was "rough" with 2 ft seas). They do Middle Caicos on the "rough" days, and will do French Cay when they can. Pickup/Dropoff and Good sandwiches for lunch.

Bring your own gear and backup/repair kits. I had a BC inflator hose failure and had to rent one of their BC's. Pretty bad. Provo is very nice. Get used to "Island Time".

IN T&C, "manana doesn't mean tomorrow, it just means 'not today'".

Turtle divers has some nice boats, and docks right behind the Tiki Hut Restaurant. On the roughest day on the ocean, the drive to T&C's boat was 10x worse. The roads are worse than New Orleans.

I have dived Provo, Grand Turk, Salt Cay & South Caicos. For me, South Caicos has the best diving though I hear that the operator at Ocean Haven has closed.

GT & Salt Cay have far more atmosphere than Provo & the diving is equally as good. Alex - I assume you made it to the Nookie Hill Club during your time there?

How was the water-did you need a wetsuit? Also, how far are the dive sites? I had heard that it is a 50 minute trip to most sites. Did you book before you went or wait till you got there? Do you know what their policy is for bad weather? I am sooo looking forward to diving again. Love communing with the fishes-sort of washes out all the stresses of the world.

<< GT & Salt Cay have far more atmosphere than Provo & the diving is equally as good. Alex - I assume you made it to the Nookie Hill Club during your time there? >>

Ahhh, the Nookie Hill Club! GT's premiere (and only, actually) disco / night club! Yes, been there, done that, enjoyed it a lot.

My wife & I got married when I worked on Grand Turk. We flew to Salt Cay for our honeymoon. This 9-mile flight actually took longer than a boat would have taken, as the plane arrived from Provo and the pilot advised he didn't have enough fuel to fly to Salt Cay and back. After much animated discussion with the newlyweds, he decided he did after all, and we finally took off. We were the only 2 "tourists" on Salt Cay, as it was the height of the hurricane season, so we had the dive op there to ourselves. Great fun.

I agree about the atmosphere. If you want to see a bit of the "real" Caribbean, try Grand Turk. All 3 dive operators there are pretty decent - I would particularly recommend Mitch & Blue Water Divers. The diving is great - the wall starts pretty close to shore, and can be dived as a shore dive in places. You can do a night dive from the Water's Edge Bar on the beach, fin out to the wall, and be back in time for drinks & a late dinner. Writing this makes me want to go back ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom