Turk & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did book ahead of time. The boat was full two of the three days of diving, so I'd advise making the call.
The boat trips are a bit long...about 45 minutes. Bring along some motion-sickness meds, if you need to. Triptone works well, w/o side effects. The ride between dive site1 and dive site 2 is usually less than 10 minutes.
The water was about 82* - 84* at all depths...very comfy in a 3/2mm. Some people went w/o a suit, but I think it might get chilly during the second dive.
We can't wait to go back!

On GT we also dived with Mitch. It was Xmas & I remember being a bit chilly in my dive skin. We calculated that Mitch was wearing 17 mm on his torso. Did a couple of night dives under the pier to the south of "town" which were good - Mitch will drive you there in his truck & pick you up after but make sure you surface after not before he arrives back as the mossies there are the size of small birds (& don't forget a couple of cold ones for the back of the truck).

When we flew back from Salt Cay in the 4 seater the pilot asked us all our weights - a bit disconcerting as the Yank opposite me was 250 lbs. The only other time I 've been asked my weight was boarding a charter to come back to Cayman from Panama - the Jamaican waif in front of me was about 100 lbs off the mark when she told the stewardess whe weighed 110lbs - & she forgot to mention the 100 lbs of hand luggage she proceeded to try to stuff into the overhead.

Yah, when they ask you your weight at checkin in front of a bunch of people, it's the moment of truth (or, in my case, untruth).

Thanks for the info-never heard of triptone. Is it over the counter? Is it similar to Meclazine? That is what I've always used and I have heard recently from a couple of other divers that it is not a good idea to use Meclazine. I just know that I need something for boat trips....knew that since my check-out dive many years ago when I spent much of the boat ride throwing up and praying that I would not have to use my newly learned skill of how to throw up under water.

ha! sounds like you had fun on your check-outs!
I had never heard of Triptone either until someone let me use some on the boat. I bought some on the island at the Dive Provo shop (located @ "Ports of Call").
I usually don't get sea-sick and the boat ride was smooth, but I was as close as one can get to throwing up, w/o doing it. Once I got underwater I was fine, but between dives, I took the pill. After the second dive, I was good for the ride home.
I haven't seen it (Triptone) here, but I haven't looked too hard either. I guess I should start, since I'm back on the boat in a month!

You can buy them on line. Just do a search.

Hi
I am partial to Salt Cay Divers in Salt Cay. Only 70 inhabitants on the island, quiet and relaxing. You get around on bicycles and golf carts. Ten minutes boat ride and your on the wall for diving. I last dove it 3 years ago but I hope to be going back in the fall of this year.

Just got back from diving West Caicos (out of provo) and Grand Turk. Used Caicos Adventures - excellent dive operation. Excellent dive boat. Very friendly dive masters and Captain (Fifi). Visibility sucked on both islands. Maybe we just had bad luck --less than 60 feet. Not a lot of big stuff. If the visibility was better, the reefs, fish, and coral would have been excellent. Dove with Oasis on Grand Turk - they were great. Both dive operation allow you to use all of the air in your tank. As far as top side service at bars and hotels, I wasn't impressed with the service. Service at the expensive restaurants was hit and miss. Don't pass up a trip to Bugaloos on Provo. Excellent beaches on Provo.

Welcome to Scubaboard! Diving in the TCI seems to be more miss than hit over the last two years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom