Tulamben - where to stay? Mimpi, Liberty, Seraya, TWD, Tauch...which is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stay in Amed!!! it's a quiet lil town just 30 min south of tulamben. amed has awesome divng and you can do a trip from there with any Amed dive shop one day to dive liberty wreck. honestly, 2 dives at liberty is enough and it gets very crowded. even better than liberty are the dives in amed. boat dives along beautiful reef with great macro, shore dives off the black sand beach with pygmy seahorses and muck dives off shore with ornate ghost pipefish and all kinds or other great critters. i would recommend diving with adventure divers bali and stay either with them or accross the street on the black sand beach (forget the name). its right across the street on the map.

2 dives at liberty is enough and it gets very crowded. even better than liberty are the dives in amed. boat dives along beautiful reef with great macro, shore dives off the black sand beach with pygmy seahorses and muck dives off shore with ornate ghost pipefish and all kinds or other great critters.
Looks like you haven't dived Tulamben many times.
There is so much more than the Liberty wreck in Tulamben, which btw needs to be dived either early morning, late afternoon or at night, when the divers from Sanur or even Amed are not yet on premises, packing or long gone.
If you had a good local guide, you would have seen there are pygmies (2 different species) on the wreck, and that the Liberty slope (50m east of the wreck) is a black sand dive that smokes anything you can find in Amed. Example in one dive, Tiger shrimp, Tozeuma shrimp, Saron shrimp, Harlequin shrimp, juvenile frogfishes, ornate and paegnius GPF, phyllodesmium, tritonia and doto nudis.

I agree with Cedric, Ocean View is the most popular of the places we recommend for our divers, right in front of the wreck, best location in Tulamben and fantastic bungalows. However, there are not many places in the area that are far away. Diving in the Tulamben area is very well organized, you can't go wrong with any of the dive operators in the area

Tony from TWD is a really nice bloke. As I said, we loved the one week we had there in 2012 (after a week's liveaboard) we are going for just over 2 weeks in August. Only thing to watch on the scooters, turning right into TWD shop carpark and into the road to the accommodation, make sure you are not being overtaken. Also, when coming out of the road from the accommodation onto the main road, make sure you have a good view before taking off. The scooters do not have great pick up and the cars/trucks can hurtle down the road.

Have a great time.

PS If you want to read about some of the dives etc, see my web site Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site.

LOL Mike I already found your write-up, and read the entire thing last night! :D Thanks...great information. I'd also seen your review on TripAdvisor. Thanks for the tips on the scooters. We've come to the conclusion that having the scooters is one of the biggest benefits of staying at TWD, mainly for our friends. They are an older couple, and long walks in the heat and humidity would be hard for them...plus they will not be diving. By having the scooter, they will have something to do, and a way to get around, while Charlie and I are out diving all day. That was one of my concerns during this trip for the days we're in Tulamben -- what would they do while we were diving? Now I don't have to worry about them feeling like they're trapped at the resort all day. Not that there's much to do or see in Tulamben, but at least they can bop around town or go get some lunch at a warung if they want to.

stay in Amed!!! it's a quiet lil town just 30 min south of tulamben. amed has awesome divng and you can do a trip from there with any Amed dive shop one day to dive liberty wreck. honestly, 2 dives at liberty is enough and it gets very crowded. even better than liberty are the dives in amed. boat dives along beautiful reef with great macro, shore dives off the black sand beach with pygmy seahorses and muck dives off shore with ornate ghost pipefish and all kinds or other great critters. i would recommend diving with adventure divers bali and stay either with them or accross the street on the black sand beach (forget the name). its right across the street on the map.

I'm not too worried about the crowds at the Liberty. By staying at TWD, we can dive it early in the morning and miss the crowds (and see the bumphead parrotfish!). We'll also do our night dives there. I've been reading up on the Liberty wreck, and it seems to me that it's well worth diving several times. I do enjoy underwater photography, and from what I'm reading, I can easily fill up several dives taking shots of all the fascinating critters down there. I prefer to move slowly underwater and focus on one small area setting up for the best shots, rather than trying to take in the whole thing on one dive. And as Luko points out, there are plenty of other diverse sites around there to dive while the crowds are swarming the Liberty. But of course I'm getting all this from reading...I'll have to see for myself. And I promise to come back and post a full report. :)

I agree with Cedric, Ocean View is the most popular of the places we recommend for our divers, right in front of the wreck, best location in Tulamben and fantastic bungalows. However, there are not many places in the area that are far away. Diving in the Tulamben area is very well organized, you can't go wrong with any of the dive operators in the area

Y'know, I hadn't included Ocean View in my initial searches, because it's not listed as a hotel on TripAdvisor, it's listed as an "Inn/B&B" so I didn't see it. But I did eventually find it and check it out. It looks great, but the problem was that there is only 1 suite and 8 bungalows. We would want the suite, as the bungalows look rather basic...but there's only 1, so our friends would have to be in a bungalow. So there went that idea.

I'm happy with my choice of TWD...I haven't read a single bad thing about them (well, other than some unhappy people on TripAdvisor who didn't like the way they were asked to pay for their stay in cash). I've now got the accommodations all set for all four of the locations we're visiting. I've got the dive operator selected for Padang Bai. Now I just need to select a dive operator in Pemuteran.

Luko, looks like you haven't dived Amed many times or don't know where to dive. everything you just mentioned and more can be found in Amed and without the crowds that tulamben has! offended that i like amed better and therefore recommend it???....suck it!

Luko, looks like you haven't dived Amed many times or don't know where to dive. everything you just mentioned and more can be found in Amed and without the crowds that tulamben has! offended that i like amed better and therefore recommend it???....suck it!

Wow. Um...given that I started this thread, I respectfully request that you try to maintain some maturity and dignity in your responses to it. How inappropriate! :shakehead:

I do wish to thank everyone for all of the great information you all provided me. It helped me tremendously, and after all I've read, I'm quite certain I've made the right choice. I wish it wasn't such a long time until my trip! Do come back and check out this forum sometime in mid to late October...I promise to provide a detailed trip report.

I know the feeling. I'm going in June and it feels like years away. :wink:

Hi all,

Just a note to say thanks for all the useful chat on this thread. I'm going back to Tulamben at the end of March for a few days diving on my way to Komodo, and it was great to read all the opinion, (well, the helpfully and politely expressed opinion at least!), on who to dive and stay with.

I stayed and dived with Tulumben Wreck Divers in 2009, and it was fantastic - Tony and team were excellent! I've just costed a 5N/4D stay in the cheapest rooms at both TWD and Liberty Divers, with two dives per day and transport to and from the airport. Even with the different pricing structures, (TWD beats LD on accommodation price, the other way around on diving prices), it came out for me that the prices for the stay were within one USD of each other! So with either one, I think you're on to a winner.

Leejnd, I think you have your dive operator for Padang Bai, but if you do need one I can recommend Gekko having dived with them in September 2009. Good people, and patience paid off in the end when we found mola-molas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom