Tulamben v. Menjangan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have thoughts on which might be the better diving-oriented place for a three-four day trip? I gather that Tulamben offers a number of excellent, very close-in dive sites, and, while the diving is great at Menjangan, it's generally a longer boat ride from Bali to Menjangan Island. Is there much difference in the marine life between the two locales? I'll visit in mid-late May.

Thanks for the help.

I thought the diving at Menjangan to be quite a bit better than Tulamben. The north side of the island has a sloping coral garden to a gradual wall. The hard corals and reef fish were abundant and plentiful. The south side is a wall dive. Depending on the tides and currents we saw sharks and turtles everyday and plentiful schooling fish. The boat ride out from Mimpi Resort is only 15 minutes. The crew and guides were great the service top notch.

Fewer people at Menjangan.I have been there 2 yrs ago, staying at Minpi Resort. Fewer western tourists visit there, great landscape. But getting there, you will have a 4 hrs mountain road on your way. (believe me, your car will climb by a volcano lake about 2000m high)
Tulanben is not far away from Kuta, about 1.5 hrs getting there. But a lot of diver staying there, Liberty wreck is the most crowded dive site at Bali.
Pandan Bai (near Tulamben) is another great dive site worth visiting.

Taman Sari is everybit as nice as the pics. However, I was there in 2000 and some changes might have occurred. You could get "killer" good massages right there at the resort for great prices. The drive to Menjagan wasn't bad at all. Once at the dive boats, you loaded onto long narrow wooden power boats for the short ride to the island. Ask to dive the wall. The island drops right from the shore vertically to about 80 feet or so. By far the nicest dive there. The dive in the channel was only so-so due to dynamite fishing. You will dive two dives with a "lunch break" in between. Even so, it is only a half day. There is nice snorkling at the resort, too.

Have a great time. I will be leaving soon for my next adventure, so won't get to correspond for a while.

hi, just came back from there a month ago and dove both places. at the time i must say that the diving conditions were much better in tulamben but it is my understanding that it is very variable having talked a lot with people around. i did find the marine life to be much more developped in tulamben and amed widh are only about 20 miunutes away. if you would like some inputs on places to stay or dive operators let me know i did a lot of shopping around and stayed at different places.

So far everyone would say Tulamben being the most favorite dive place in Bali. Everyone means all the local divers. But as Wisnu mentioned, the dive spots in Indonesia is like Jolie and Hurley.. you will like them all and want to dive them all :wink:

The best thing to dive in Bali is to do the Dive Safari. All you hotel and dive will be arranged for the best. Taman Sari, Mimpi, and other good resort/hotel are the place you'll stay. If you need any info on this, please let me know.

Cheers,
S-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom